Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by pi...@crpht.lu on 2001/02/22 10:48:27 UTC

Re: Re[6]: How to edit,delete data on xml file or databases?

Thanks a lot Simone for your help and advice.
I don't have time enough to test those modifications today,
but be sure that i will try as soon as possible. (maybe tomorow)

I will tell you if it works here ...
Anyway thank you very much for paying attention to my pb and answering !
It really helps me !
Best regards
Pierre

                    simone
                    cecchini             To:     "pierre.brimont@crpht.lu" <co...@xml.apache.org>
                    <simone@kiosc        cc:
                    o.org>               Subject:     Re[6]: How to edit,delete data on xml file or
                                         databases?
                    22/02/2001
                    10:50
                    Please
                    respond to
                    cocoon-users

Hello pierre,

Thursday, February 22, 2001, 09:34:02, you wrote:

pbcl> Hello Oscar and Simone,

pbcl> I've used FP a few weeks ago.
pbcl> Even if it is a nice way to edit XML, there are still some problems
that i
pbcl> can't solve :

pbcl> - With cocoon 1.8.x, you can't  write an attribute (except if you
select
pbcl> your element as a node but it's
pbcl>    not really safe when you have users who don't know XML syntax)

i met the same problem, and added a few lines to fp.xsl and fpXXX.java to
be able to insert attributes using the scheme
<fp:write ... select="the node to add attributes to">
          <fp:attribute>
                        <fp:name>something</fp:name>
                        <fp:value>somevalue</fp:value>
          </fp:attribute>
</fp:write>
but i have not thoroughly tested (if someone would like partecipate, i
would appreciate), moreover it just solves a specific need, so it could
prove to be poor.
pbcl> - You either can't insert an element at the end of a list.
(insert-after
pbcl> does not work as expected)

you have to change the line
Node brother = parent.getNextSibling();
Node brother = readNode.getNextSibling();
in method 'init' of class fpResource (fpResource.java), to get it working
correctly, and recompile
pbcl> They were the two main reasons i try to find an other solution to
pbcl> read/write/edit XML document ...
pbcl> I hope that FP 2.0 will solve those pb. But as far as we don't know
when
pbcl> the new version will be released,

yes, i hope the new version will be released soon. i don't like hacking the
'official' library: anytime a new version is released, i have to merge my
version with the new one. moreover, i have not much time to test
modifications, so i'm a bit worried.
pbcl> I'm afraid i should learn Java and DOM quickly  :-)

pbcl> Anyway, if you have any informations about FP ...

pbcl> Pierre

pbcl>                     simone

pbcl>                     cecchini             To:     Oscar Trigueiros
<co...@xml.apache.org>
pbcl>                     <simone@kiosc        cc:

pbcl>                     o.org>               Subject:     Re[4]: How to
edit,delete data on xml file or
pbcl>                                          databases?

pbcl>                     22/02/2001

pbcl>                     08:33

pbcl>                     Please

pbcl>                     respond to

pbcl>                     cocoon-users

pbcl> Hello Oscar,

pbcl> Wednesday, February 21, 2001, 19:21:09, you wrote:

OT>> Hello Simone:
OT>>   Tanks for the tip, i've tried again and realised that what i was
pbcl> doing
OT>> wrong.
OT>>   I've removed the line added and triend again and realise that the
pbcl> sample
OT>> is working, it simply validades the data.
OT>>   Now all that is left to do is to understand the Fp taglib.
OT>>   I'm wondering how good of a framework can Cocoom be to replace the
OT>> tradicional database driven applications.
OT>>   We all now that next age applications will be based on one web
pbcl> interface.
OT>>   That do you thing about that??

OT>> Tanks
OT>>   Osk!

pbcl> you can get some hints about what cocoon and cocoon2 are/should be
from an
pbcl> interesting thread that's been rolled out a few days ago on this ml
('App
pbcl> Design Philosophy Rant').
pbcl> i am at my first experience with cocoon. i am using both the fp
taglib and
pbcl> esql one together, but not for 'heavy' applications. i think that xsp
is a
pbcl> good way to write applications, provided you are willing to tamper a
little
pbcl> with the code.
pbcl> bye,
pbcl> simone

pbcl> Please check that your question has not already been answered in the
pbcl> FAQ before posting. <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html>

pbcl> For additional commands, e-mail: <co...@xml.apache.org>

--
Best regards,