Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Sriram Kaushik <ka...@adttx.sps.mot.com> on 1998/10/28 18:28:20 UTC

config/3306: Not able to start up HTTPD server

>Number:         3306
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Not able to start up HTTPD server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I have been using Apache server pretty successfully. TOday the machine was
rebooted and as usual I wanted to start the Apache server and as usual I gave the
following command :

./httpd -d <dir>

But to my surprise found that the server was not started ( Gave a ps and found
no httpd server running ). Then tried and again and again it resulted in the
same result. Server not started. So went to the Logs file and found the following
meesage :

[Web Oct 28 11:05:11 1998] [crit] (48)Address already in use: make_sock: could
not bind to port 1080.

Well this means that the port 1080 has already been used ?
But when I have started the server only now how can the port be already in use ?
>How-To-Repeat:
Well the problem is repeatable only by me since its a server start problem.
>Fix:
Nopes. I tried to see if the port 1080 is free but dint know how to get hold
of the port 1080. Its critical to run this on this port as there are lots of
dependencies and hence cant change the port 1080.