Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by softspt <so...@gchq.gsi.gov.uk> on 2003/06/03 10:32:26 UTC

Restarting Tomcat without restarting Apache

Protective Marking: UNCLASSIFIED

Is it possible to set up Tomcat so that it services JSP requests for
Apache, yet can be restarted independently? The docs for mod_jk say that
restarting Tomcat requires restarting Apache.

This Email and any files transmitted with it is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error
please notify:   postmaster@gchq.gsi.gov.uk

Communications with this Department maybe monitored or
recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system
and for other lawful purposes.

Re: Restarting Tomcat without restarting Apache

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
You can start/stop each independently.  I do it all the time.  You may
encounter errors in Apache's logs, if it is in the middle of trying to
satisfy a request to Tomcat, but Tomcat is restarted before the request can
complete.

The cleanest way to do this, for stops, is: stop Apache, then stop Tomcat.
For starts: start Tomcat, then start Apache.  that way, requests are not
handled until Apache is up.  But doing it this way is not required.

The only time restarting Tomcat requires an Apache restart is if you are
using the ApacheConfig classes in server.xml to auto-generate mod_jk
configuration information for Apache.  Since the mod_jk.conf file gets
created every time Tomcat is started, you would need to restart Apache for
it to pick up any changes to that file.

John

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
If you are using the mod_jk from 3.2.x, then this is true.  Any more recent
version allows you to restart Tomcat independently of Apache.  You can even
simply upgrade mod_jk, and continue to use TC 3.2.x if you want.

Posted by John Corrigan <jo...@johncorrigan.net>.
If that is the case then I believe that the docs would be incorrect.  I
often restart Tomcat without restarting Apache.