Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by pete rippe <ca...@cox.net> on 2003/02/25 05:17:57 UTC

[users@httpd] 2.0.44/prefork Invalid argument: connect to listener, then crash - update

Bit more than a week ago i sent this, and i figured i would give an
update on what i now think is wrong. I switched servers a few days ago,
from a 486, to a pent1, the main thing staying the same was OpenBSD 3.2,
so i'm starting to think the thread problem isn't related to apache, but
open. If anyone has apache 2.0.44 running on openbsd 3.2 (i386
platform), please let me know anything you might have done to get it
working.

Thanks!

--Pete R.

As of 3 days ago, my apache went belly up. I'll get to exactly what
happened right after i drop my ap info:
Apache 2.0.44 w/mpm prefork
on openbsd 3.2, pent. 133 (i believe), 64m ram
mods included: so, and php 4.2.3
and standard conf with only addtype and load for php

Ok, heres what happened. Server was running fine for 29 days, no
hickups, smoothly, then, one morning, it stopped responding. I tried
restarting it, but the 10 httpd process wouldnt go away, tried kill for
each of the pid's and all i got was a response that they didnt exist.
Checked my error logs, every second, for about a few hours, was the
following error:
[warn] (22) Invalid argument: connect to listener
about half way through that, there was a connection or 2, but the server
pretty much called it quits after that. So i decided to check a bit
above, just usual crap from codered, etc, but right exactly above the
start of the invalid argument was an error:
[error] [client xxxxx] client sent malformed Host header
In the access log, i got what the header was that corresponded to that
error:
64.167.18.138 - - [10/Feb/2003:18:31:36 -0500] "GET
/default.ida?NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a
  HTTP/1.0" 400 326

I've seen that before in my logs, but apache never responded to it
before, especially with a malformed header error, normally just gave a
404. But anyways, so i finally got to the point of having to restart to
get everything to clear up. Apache worked fine after the boot, running
nicely, till yesterday morning, when it completly stopped again, and
same symptoms of not being able to close any of the running processes.
One thing i did note, was, the previous error_log was 1.3 megs, so i
coppied it to my computer here, and deleted the original, to start fresh
  from the previous logs, you know, just to watch for apachy being
weird. Well, after that reboot, apache never created the log again like
it has in the past, and in the 24 hrs it was running till it died again,
still hasnt generated it.

Oh yeah, one more thing i noticed, when i ran ps -ax to see all the
processes, normally apache after boot lists as httpd -k start, or
something to that effect (i really don't remember what exactly it is),
but after the times it has crashed, it just lists as (httpd), and each
of thoes, lists like the following output:

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS TT   STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND
nobody   29198  0.0  0.0     0     0 ??  ZW    -          0:00.00 (httpd)

Everything is set to 0, so something is hickuping somewhere, and i have
no idea whats going wrong. I've waited a few days before posting to here
just so i could look around and make sure it wasnt something stupid I
did, but I can't find anything.

Any help would be appriciated, and if anyone needs more info, i'll help
as much as i can.

Thanks,

Pete Rippe