Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> on 2003/06/30 14:46:02 UTC

site root going straight to a .do

Hi all,

Sorry about the subject line, it's the best I can do in one sentance.

What I'm trying to do, is set up the wecome file, so that instead of having
to go via a html or jsp page, I can go straight to an action class! Any
ideas?

If someone types in htt://our.site.com/ourapp then it should go straight to
the welcome.do Action and not a html file.

I'm using struts1.1 and stxx.

Cheers

Simon

"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all
the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than
on the opinion of others." -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung
und Elektronik,
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
Postfach 3640,
D-76021 Karlsruhe,
Germany.

Tel: (+49)/7247 82-4042
E-mail : kelly@ipe.fzk.de

Re: site root going straight to a .do

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
Ok.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Simon

Posted by Johan <ja...@nilling.nl>.

Simon Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry about the subject line, it's the best I can do in one sentance.
>
> What I'm trying to do, is set up the wecome file, so that instead of having
> to go via a html or jsp page, I can go straight to an action class! Any
> ideas?
>
> If someone types in htt://our.site.com/ourapp then it should go straight to
> the welcome.do Action and not a html file.
>
> I'm using struts1.1 and stxx.
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon
>

> "I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all
> the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than
> on the opinion of others." -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
>
> Institut fuer
> Prozessdatenverarbeitung
> und Elektronik,
> Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
> Postfach 3640,
> D-76021 Karlsruhe,
> Germany.
>
> Tel: (+49)/7247 82-4042
> E-mail : kelly@ipe.fzk.de

Nilling Software Design
Postbus 43
2280 AA  Rijswijk ZH
w: http://www.nilling.nl

Re: site root going straight to a .do

Posted by Shashank Dixit <Sh...@datamatics.com>.
Hi Simon

We specify welcome file in web.xml file and not in struts-config.xml. Since the web server
or app server doesnt hv any idea about struts config, putting a struts related action or file in
web.xml will not help. What you can do is you can have a jsp as a welcome file which then
redirects control to the action.

Hope this helps
Shashank

Posted by Mark McBride <ma...@llnl.gov>.
I'm glad it worked ... good point on the file existance explanation!

-Mark

Posted by Steve Raeburn <st...@ninsky.com>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <st...@ninsky.com>.

Posted by Mark McBride <ma...@llnl.gov>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <st...@ninsky.com>.
FYI doesn't work in Tomcat 5 either.

Steve

Posted by Steve Raeburn <st...@ninsky.com>.

Posted by Mark McBride <ma...@llnl.gov>.

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
I just used a blank html with a refresh of 0 in the metea data pointing to
the welcome.do file.

I'll attempt to do it without the html page later, as I was getting a bit to
angry to both earlier, and my log4j was playing up as well which was not
doing my blood pressure any favours.

Cheers

Simon

Posted by Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>.
I have used a filter instead of specifying a welcome file:

<filter-mapping>
     <filter-name>WelcomeFilter</filter-name>
     <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

This mapping works under Tomcat 4.1.24.  My WelcomeFilter then forwards
to my Homepage.do action.

I did this because I wanted to hide all of my .jsp files under /WEB-INF
and compile them before deployment.  Compiling the *.jsp files
essentially turns them into servlets with mappings in the web.xml so the
<welcome-file-list> wouldn't work in this situation.

--jason

K.C. Baltz wrote:
> My understanding is that the webapp spec requires that files in the
> welcome-file-list be actual files, not servlets, because it has to test
> for their existence to decide which welcome file to use.  So,
> "/index.do"  won't work.
> K.C.
>
> Affan Qureshi wrote:
>
>> Have you tried configuring the <welcome-file-list> in web.xml. I guess
>> you
>> can do all this there.
>>
>> Affan
>>
>> "Simon Kelly" <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> wrote in message
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry about the subject line, it's the best I can do in one sentance.
>>>
>>> What I'm trying to do, is set up the wecome file, so that instead of
>>>

>> having
>>

>>> to go via a html or jsp page, I can go straight to an action class! Any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> If someone types in htt://our.site.com/ourapp then it should go straight

>>> the welcome.do Action and not a html file.
>>>
>>> I'm using struts1.1 and stxx.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>>> "I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than
>>>

>> all
>>

>>> the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself
>>>

>> than
>>

>>> on the opinion of others." -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
>>>
>>> Institut fuer
>>> Prozessdatenverarbeitung
>>> und Elektronik,
>>> Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
>>> Postfach 3640,
>>> D-76021 Karlsruhe,
>>> Germany.
>>>
>>> Tel: (+49)/7247 82-4042
>>> E-mail : kelly@ipe.fzk.de

Jason Lea

RE: site root going straight to a .do

Posted by Giampiero De Ciantis <gd...@aci.on.ca>.
I had to do the exact same thing for one of my apps. So I just did a
<logic:forward> to my starting action in a file called index.jsp. Then in
the welcome-file-list I put the index.jsp file. It's not clean, but it
works.

Posted by "K.C. Baltz" <kc...@lollimail.com>.

Posted by Affan Qureshi <qu...@etilize.com>.

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
Prashanth

I'm not using jsp for the output, but xml instead. Everything is handled
from within the Action classes and I was hoping to find a way of
elliminating the need for any hard coded html files.

Cheers

Simon