Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by "Tresch, Anatole " <an...@credit-suisse.com> on 2015/08/06 14:44:04 UTC

[VOTE] PPMC Vote for releasing Apache Tamaya 0.1-incubating

Dear all

so I hereby  start the INTERNAL PPMC vote for the first release "0.1-incubating" of Apache Tamaya (see [2] also for details on the voting process).

Please note:
This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see [4]).

[ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be
released, and why..............

The vote will be open for 72 hours at least.

References
=========

The tag is available at [1]. The release notes can be found here: [3] and here[4].

Please take a look at the artifacts and vote!

What's in this release
==================

Summarizing this release contains:

- API and Implementation (core) compatible with Java 7 and later
- API with additional default methods and implementation (core) based on Java 8
- Out of the box properties and xml-properties are supported configuration formats
- Extension Modules for
  - resource location and path lookup of configuration resources
  - placeholders and cross references
  - a configuration builder implementation
  - modeling formats, that read configuration data into a normalized data structure.
  - additional configuration formats support for
- json
  - dynamic configuration events API, including an example how a folder on disk can be observed for
    dynamically updating configuration
  - an purely SE based injection module supporting injection, templates and dynamic, updateable configuration values.
- All extension modules despite the builder modules are compatible with Java 7 and later
- A bunch of documentation for
  - Use Cases
  - High Level Design
  - The current draft extension modules
- Also tagged, but not part of the distribution are the experimental modules for
  - supporting yaml formats
  - configuring JodaTime library types
  - JMX support
  - configuration metamodels
  - configuration model and validation support

Building the project/distribution
===========================

We know that the release project is deployable into the artifacts repo (we tried it out yesterday). Though you may want to check the final distribution, so most easy way is to simply build it. This can be achieved as follows:

1. Ensure your workspace is setup for using with different tool chains:
    - Ensure you have JSK7 AND JDK8 are both installed on your disk.
    - copy toolchain.xml from the project's root folder to $USER_HOME/.m2/toolchain.xml
    - edit the settings in toolchain.xml, so the path for JDK7 and JDK8 match the installed JDKs for Java 7
      and Java 8.
3. Call mvn clean package (or mvn clean install).
4. After the tasks has been finished you  find the built distributions in

     $PROJECT_ROOT/distribution/target

One for binary (tamaya-distribution-0.1-incubating-distribution-bin.tar.gz), one for source (tamaya-distribution-0.1-incubating-distribution-src.tar.gz).

Links:
[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-tamaya/tree/0.1-incubating
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
[3] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator-tamaya/0.1-incubating/readme/ReleaseNotes-0.1-incubating.html
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315925&version=12329050

--
Anatole Tresch
Platform Strategy & Strategic Projects, KGVX 42

Re: [VOTE] PPMC Vote for releasing Apache Tamaya 0.1-incubating

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>