Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rodrigo Cesar Gevaerd de Faria <rc...@lumis.com.br> on 2006/08/02 14:57:16 UTC

using hotcopy through a network drive

Hi,

I would like to know if I can run the svnadmin hotcopy command to copy a
repository on Berkeley DB through a network drive without problems, or if
this command also suffers the limitations of accessing the Berkeley DB
through a network drive and should be executed on local drive only.

Thanks,
Rodrigo.

Re: using hotcopy through a network drive

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
eg wrote:
> Gavin Lambert wrote:
>>
>> I have no solid evidence one way or the other, but I'd be very
>> suspicious of it myself.
>>
>> My understanding is that file locks are unreliable across a network (I
>> forget whether it's the Windows networking or the Linux networking
>> protocols that are particularly bad in this regard).  Without reliable
>> file locks, I can't think of a way that hotcopy could safely replicate
>> the repository.  I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying that I'd
>> be surprised if it did.  But I've been surprised before :)
>
> This link (a bit) old, seems to confirm both of your suspicions for BDB:
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-05/0434.shtml

You'll be fine to copy the BDB repository to a network drive.  You'll see that
the problem noted is that they ran 'svnadmin recover' on the copy made on the
network drive.

If you need to restore from the copy on the network drive, you copy it back to
your local drive and do 'svnadmin recover' on it there.

Finally, if you run 'svnadmin hotcopy' on the box that has the repository on its
local disk, you'll be fine.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: using hotcopy through a network drive

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Cesar Gevaerd de Faria <rc...@lumis.com.br>.

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.