Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ashikuzzaman <az...@hotmail.com> on 2004/01/16 18:22:02 UTC

Apache Authentication in a webdav application under tomcat

Dear Folks,

I am facing a solution design problem and hence seeking your adivse here.

Scenario

1. There is a security layer in a running EJB system that decides the access
privileges of various user groups on various resources (files, images etc).
2. A webdav application using jakarta slide is being developed to be
deployed under tomcat that will give the access to the resources.
3. Apache is acting as web server with which tomcat is connected as a web
container (for servlets/jsp) files.
4. I initially am using apache's htpasswd.exe file to generate
username/password for basic authentication. It works fine as far as I have
created the user or group in that file and shown the URL to be protected
(http://localhost/testDav instead of http://localhost:8080/testDav), popping
up the basic authentication dialog box.

Problem

Now I need that user will point to http://localhost/testDav URL in his
browser, get the basic or any other authentication (basic is sufficient in
this case), after submitting the username and password the request will go
to the slide's servlet, say TestWebDavServlet. Then this servlet will call
the security layer's API of the EJB system to authenticate and authorize the
user and thus provide or deny access to the user. That means using the
passwords text file is not sufficient in this case.

Query

Please let me know, if the whole idea is feasible or their is a basic
misunderstanding of teh problem by me? What are the alternatives to me in
this scenario. Once I can get the username and password as string to my
servlet I can do the rest. But how can I get that as I am not using tomcat
as a web server rather using apache as web server?

Looking for comments from you.

Regards,

Muhammad Ashikuzzaman (Fahim)
Senior Software Engineer, SurroundApps Inc.