Posted to general@gump.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/10/05 17:21:38 UTC

xml-beans bootstrapping dilemma

i'm trying to add xml-beans to gump. i've made quite a lot of progress but
i've now reached a fundamental problem. xml-beans generates classes from
schema but the classes it uses to read a schema are generated by the last
compilation of xml-beans.

what's the best way to create a gump build for a project that need's it's
last build in order to build the next?

- robert

Re: xml-beans bootstrapping dilemma

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> i'm trying to add xml-beans to gump. i've made quite a lot of progress but
> i've now reached a fundamental problem. xml-beans generates classes from
> schema but the classes it uses to read a schema are generated by the last
> compilation of xml-beans.
>
> what's the best way to create a gump build for a project that need's it's
> last build in order to build the next?

I don't think I'm helping here, I don't really think I understand the
situation -- 'cos it seems like a bootstrap problem -- but just in case...

Can you split these into two Gump projects? The XML schema reading part
being one, and the generation (etc.) another? Making a dependency on the
other would set the classpath. Also, classes compiled during a project can
be used by it (when you set the work area).

regards

Adam

Re: xml-beans bootstrapping dilemma

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, robert burrell donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> what's the best way to create a gump build for a project that need's
> it's last build in order to build the next?

Build it twice, i.e. make two different prpject definitions.  But
maybe you don't need that at all.

Wouldn't it be enough to put the directory containing the generated
classes into a <work> element?

Just go ahead and check in whatever you have and we can try to sort it
out together.

Cheers

        Stefan