Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2009/05/29 16:29:32 UTC

Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Hi everyone,

The period for name suggestions has ended, and we received many good
submissions.  Thanks so much for all who submitted - naming is not an easy
task given the research that has to be done, and your efforts are much
appreciated.

Below is a list of all submissions that cleared TESS [1] searches, along
with their meanings.  The spreadsheet I used to accumulate this information
may also be viewed here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html[2]

The list is ordered alphabetically accompanied by their meanings.  Please
only select one.  Due to the weekend, the voting period will extend to
Midnight (GMT-8) June 3rd. Thanks!

Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"
Apache AuthentiKi - play on previous 'Ki' name
Apache Boahn      - "security" in Korean (Boahn:보안)
Apache KeyPad     - electronic lock
Apache Narsil     - sword of Kind Elendil,Lord Of The Rings - represents
power/protection
Apache Panekana   - "security" in Hawaiian
Apache Security   - Apache security framework, but might have probs w/
apachesecurity.net [3]
Apache Sekuriti   - "security" in Malay
Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese
Apache Sikkert    - "security" in Danish
Apache Tidasi     - variant of Tidasif (see next), easier to pronounce
Apache Tidasif    - the word "Secured" using an offset of one character
(s->t, e->i, etc).
Apache Toran      - a gateway, often a monumental approach to a Buddhist
temple
Apache XSJ        - relevant letters in "eXtensible Security for Java"

[1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4001:4hnqd9.1.1
[2]
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html
[3] http://www.apachesecurity.net/

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 Aseca

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 Aseca

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by "Altuğ B. Altıntaş" <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Security

--
Altuğ.

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Security

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Security

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Security

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Ashok Kumar R <as...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Shiro

Thanks,
Ashok

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Ashok Kumar R <as...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Shiro

Thanks,
Ashok

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Erik Beeson <er...@gmail.com>.
-1 Aseca, it sounds like Maseca (the corn flower), and looks too much like
Acegi.
-1 Toran, too close to Torah or Koran (Qur'an) which makes me feel like it's
some sort of religious thing.

+1 Shiro, just because it seems like it has the best chance of winning over
the above two.

My first pick would be KeyPad, but people don't seem to like that.

--Erik

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Apache Shiro

/niklas

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.
+1 Toran

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Aseca

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The period for name suggestions has ended, and we received many good
> submissions.  Thanks so much for all who submitted - naming is not an easy
> task given the research that has to be done, and your efforts are much
> appreciated.
>
> Below is a list of all submissions that cleared TESS [1] searches, along
> with their meanings.  The spreadsheet I used to accumulate this information
> may also be viewed here:
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html[2]<http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html%5B2%5D>
>
> The list is ordered alphabetically accompanied by their meanings.  Please
> only select one.  Due to the weekend, the voting period will extend to
> Midnight (GMT-8) June 3rd. Thanks!
>
> Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"
> Apache AuthentiKi - play on previous 'Ki' name
> Apache Boahn      - "security" in Korean (Boahn:보안)
> Apache KeyPad     - electronic lock
> Apache Narsil     - sword of Kind Elendil,Lord Of The Rings - represents
> power/protection
> Apache Panekana   - "security" in Hawaiian
> Apache Security   - Apache security framework, but might have probs w/
> apachesecurity.net [3]
> Apache Sekuriti   - "security" in Malay
> Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese
> Apache Sikkert    - "security" in Danish
> Apache Tidasi     - variant of Tidasif (see next), easier to pronounce
> Apache Tidasif    - the word "Secured" using an offset of one character
> (s->t, e->i, etc).
> Apache Toran      - a gateway, often a monumental approach to a Buddhist
> temple
> Apache XSJ        - relevant letters in "eXtensible Security for Java"
>
> [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4001:4hnqd9.1.1
> [2]
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html
> [3] http://www.apachesecurity.net/

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hello everyone,

Voting for this period has ended.  Here are the final tallies for all votes
(names ordered alphabetically):

Apache Aseca: 8 votes
Apache Security: 3 votes
Apache Shiro: 8 votes
Apache Toran: 3 votes

Because there were less than 5 total names in this vote, there is no need to
have a 2nd round vote for the top 5.

The next vote will be the final vote in selecting a name and the choice will
be between "Apache Aseca" and "Apache Shiro".

I'll start a new thread for the final name vote shortly.

Les

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Neil Hathaway <ha...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sune Lindberg Riedel <su...@axiell.com>.

Posted by Erik Beeson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bradley Beddoes <br...@gmail.com>.
Apache Toran+1

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
On May 29, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese

Sugoi desu!  (^^)

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Apache Aseca

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 Apache Aseca

Same here, +1

-Bertrand

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 Apache Aseca

Same here, +1

-Bertrand

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Short, easy to pronounce in multiple languages, very low # of search hits,
no software/security related matches, no TESS conflicts.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
+1 Apache Aseca

Posted by Bryan Turner <in...@hotmail.com>.
Hello, all.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil Hathaway <ha...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by John McKenzie <jm...@rackspace.com>.
+1 for Apache Shiro as well...

For me, Aseca is too similar to Acegi.

 - John

On 5/29/09 2:20 PM, "Manoj Khangaonkar" <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Joined the list recently and looking forward to contribute to this project.
>
> +1 for Apache Shiro
>
> Manoj

at abuse@rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Apache Shiro

/niklas

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Posted by Erik Beeson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.