Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Curtis A. Weyant" <dy...@angelfire.com> on 2002/10/25 16:47:51 UTC

Problem

I seem to be having a problem creating my PDF from a FO document.  I'm using a Windows 2000 machine (under the DOS command prompt).  Can somebody please help me figure out what's wrong?

Here's the output below:

C:\TEMP\FOP>java -cp build\fop.jar;lib\batik.jar;lib\xalan-2.3.1.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.0.1.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.jar;lib\logkit-1.0.jar;lib\jimi-1.0.jar org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -d test\story.fo test\story.pdf
[DEBUG] Input mode:
[DEBUG] FO
[DEBUG] fo input file: test\story.fo
[DEBUG] Output mode:
[DEBUG] pdf
[DEBUG] output file: test\story.pdf
[DEBUG] OPTIONS
[DEBUG] no user configuration file is used [default]
[DEBUG] debug mode on
[DEBUG] dump configuration
[DEBUG] quiet mode on
[DEBUG] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[DEBUG] base directory: file:/C:/TEMP/FOP/test/
[INFO] FOP 0.20.4
[DEBUG] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[DEBUG] setting up fonts
[ERROR] null

org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
	at org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Unknown Source)

---------

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.getNextPageMaster(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.makePage(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.format(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.render(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(AbstractSAXParser.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.handleEndElement(XMLNamespaceBinder.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.endElement(XMLNamespaceBinder.java:643)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(XMLDTDValidator.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(XMLDTDValidator.java:918)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.handleEndElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:988)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java, Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration.parse(StandardParserConfiguration.java:529)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.StandardParserConfiguration.parse(StandardParserConfiguration.java:585)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:147)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1148)
	at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Unknown Source)

Re: Problem

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Curtis A. Weyant wrote:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.getNextPageMaster(Unknown Source)

You have a page master reference, probably a
fo:conditional-page-master-reference, which does not have
a master-reference property which points to an existing
simple page master. If you have a master-name property,
rename it to master-reference (ssee FOP release notes),
or check for spelling errors.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Problem

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Curtis A. Weyant wrote:

> I seem to be having a problem creating my PDF from a FO document.
>  I'm using a Windows 2000 machine (under the DOS command prompt).
>  Can somebody please help me figure out what's wrong?
>
> Here's the output below:
>

> C:\TEMP\FOP>java -cp
> build\fop.jar;lib\batik.jar;lib\xalan-2.3.1.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.0
> .1.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\avalon-framework-cvs-20020315.jar;lib\
> logkit-1.0.jar;lib\jimi-1.0.jar org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -d
> test\story.fo test\story.pdf

> [ERROR] null

> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at

I think you need to designate the filetypes on the commandline:
    ... org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -d -fo test\story.fo -pdf test\story.pdf

BTW, check out the links on the FOP web page for information on subscribing
to the fop-user mailing list, which will be more suitable for questions of
this type. Most of the developers work that list as well, so you don't lose
anything, but you have the added benefit of having a much larger pool of
people who can help, and often more timely than the developers.

Victor Mote

RE: Problem

Posted by "Matthew L. Avizinis" <ml...@gleim.com>.
Well it looks like if your base directory is C:/TEMP/FOP/test/  and you're
attempting to compile test\story.fo FOP won't find anything there.  Try just
story.fo and story.pdf

   Matthew L. Avizinis <ma...@gleim.com>
Gleim Publications, Inc.
   4201 NW 95th Blvd.