Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yclept Nemo <or...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/19 20:51:46 UTC

[users@httpd] [mod_filter] help configuring filter providers

This seems applicable to any filtering module that requires
configuration, though I am primarily interested in mod_sed,
mod_substitute or mod_line_edit.
Furthermore, I run into the same issue using the deprecated directives
from core: [AddOutputFilterByType] and [SetOutputFilter].

Currently mod_filter seems to act in this way: Upon a successful match
to a filter-name in the [FilterProvider] directive, all directives of
the corresponding filter provider (mod_sed, mod_line_edit,
mod_substitute) are applied.

Consider this test case. I wish for one substitution to be applied
when the content-type contains text, and the other to be applied when
the Content-Type does *not* contain text. In short, both filters are
exclusive. However, when a filter-name is called, all directives of
the corresponding provider are applied. So in the following examples,
both substitutions will always be used:

<Location /prefix/>

    FilterProvider test substitute resp=Content-Type $text
    Substitute s/a/QQQ/ni

    FilterProvider test1 substitute resp=Content-Type !$text
    Substitute s/s/ZZZZ/ni

    FilterChain =test +test1
</Location>

I am looking for a way to associate the configuration of a filter
provider with a named filter (alt. terminology: a registered filter, a
harness). For example, can I alias multiple [Substitute] lines as
separate filters? Perhaps something along the lines of:

<Location /prefix/>

    FilterAlias sub1 Substitute s/foo/bar/ni
    FilterProvider sub1 substitute resp=Content-Type $javascript
    FilterChain +sub1

    FilterAlias sub2 Substitute s/a/QQQ/ni
    FilterProvider sub2 substitute resp=Content-Type $css
    FilterChain +sub2

    [more filter providers here]
</Location>

On a final note, the documentation at