Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1998/02/23 05:45:42 UTC

[STATUS] (apache-2.0) Sun Feb 22 23:45:40 EST 1998

Apache 2.0 STATUS:

Release:

    2.0  : In pre-alpha development
	    see: <http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/apache/2.0/process-model>
	   Dean says:  This sounds like I'm working on implementing this
	   proposal.  I'm not.  Nobody is as far as I know.

Plan:

    Everyone with plans on things they want to do for 2.0
    should add them to the repository now.  Use a descriptive
    filename.

    Other code will be copied over when 1.3.0 is finished.

Showstoppers:
Committed Code Changes:
Available Patches:
In progress:
Needs patch:

Open issues:

  * Replace the current Unix compilation model (Configuration.tmpl, home-brew
    Configure script) with the "autoconf toolset".

  * Investigate replacing the current Unix compilation model (Configuration.tmpl
    home-brew Configure script) with the "autoconf toolset". (this
    varies from the above such that if it's shown that the "autoconf
    toolset" can do what we want, with less headache than what we
    have, then we go for it)

  * The "autoconf toolset" should include all three: autoconf, automake, and
    libtool.

  FEATURE SET FOR 2.0
    Here, we decide how many of the following feature ideas we will set for
    ourselves as work items for 2.0.  We can't do everything we would want
    to, otherwise 2.0 will never be released.  So please try and be
    conservative with your votes.  Items in no particular order.  Feel free
    to add more, but try not to duplicate earlier items too much.

    * multithreading.
		Martin +1
	Volunteers:

    * revamped process model (Dean's proposal)
      Dean says: it's hard to do the multithreading work cleanly without
      considering a bunch of this
		MarkC +1, Paul +1, Dean +1, Martin +1
	Volunteers:

    * new layered I/O.
		Marc +1, Ralf +1, MarkC +1, Ben +1
	Volunteers: Ken

      . sfio
	Volunteers:

      . bstdio
	This was written by Chris Provenzano as part of his implementation
	of Posix threads... Jim can place a copy of the RST-hacked
	version on dev.apache.org if needed and possible.
	   -- RST never donated his hacks to the Group.  Don't put it up for
	      download unless you've cleared it with him. --Brian

      . page flipping friendly, page-sized buffer oriented, zero copy I/O
	(In this model there are functions like readbuf() which return a
	pointer to a buffer, rather than taking a pointer to a buffer.  This
	is a lot like how kernels actually work.  The advantage is that you
	can get zero-copy in the user space, which is a big win for caching
	modules of all sorts.  You can also support the "traditional" slow
	style of stdio, which adds an extra user space copy.)
	Martin asks:  Is there some software flying around where such
		a model has been tried? Or is it a totally new technique?
	Volunteers:

    * API work

      . radically revamped API
	Volunteers: Ken

      . documented API
		Martin +1
	Volunteers: Ken

      . just new API phases
	        Ralf +1 (especially url2url and file2file in addition to
		url2file)
	Volunteers: Ken

      . change API 'phase' model to use module-registered hooks rather
	than a fixed static structure
	Volunteers: Ken

      . use virtual functions for module hooks
	Volunteers:

      . clearly identify API functions by renaming them
	Volunteers: Ken

      . backward compatibility with 1.3 (just require a recompile)
	if functions get renamed, old names retained as wrappers
	Volunteers:

      . make API call syntax rational (e.g., all r*() routines list r
	as their first argument, et cetera)
	Volunteers: Ken

      . abstract module layering for plugins (e.g., a mod_auth interface
	into which mod_auth_mumble modules can be plugged)
	Volunteers: Ken

    * new configuration language
    	Martin notes: There have been proposals to maybe make the config
		language XML-based.
	Volunteers: Ken

    * rewrite in C++
	. Yes: Ben +1, Martin +1
	. doesn't like the idea, but is open to it: Marc +1, Ralf +1
	. No way ever: MarkC +1, Paul +1
	. Not for 2.0, but maybe later: Ken +1
	Volunteers:

Closed issues: