Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ferran ArĂ­s <ar...@overthegame.com> on 2001/12/10 11:40:17 UTC

Strange Thread Behaviour

Hi everybody!

I have a strange problem with Tomcat Version 4.0.1 running on GNU/Linux Debian Kernel 2.2.19 using j2sdk 1.3.1 from blackdown.

I have a JSP page that returns a simple 1 in simple text page format, no HTTPsession.

You start tomcat normally and the HTTPconnector running at port 80 standalone has

minProcessors=5 maxProcessors=15

It starts 20 linux java processes and i can see that in the logs he open the 5 initial background threads.

Until now everything is OK.

When you start calling the JSP page everything is OK. if you get mad and you call this page over and over again very fast everything is ok but after a while beggins to open new background threads for incoming requests, this is also ok, maybe he has no time to process the lot of requestes with 5 threads. The number of OS processes beggins to grow for every background thread he opens, also no problem. Then i stop to ask for the page, everything ok normally after a while he should stop the background processes when the connection times out (connectionTimeout=15000) so i wait about 3 hours. After this, the number of java processes it's still the same and in the logs it doesn't come nothing like (Stopping background thread) so i begin to call the page again and again. When the number again the number of processes begin to grow until Tomcat stops responding. After this "catalina.sh stop" is not able to end tomcat i must "kill pid" of the first java process otherwise java processes are always opened.

It seems like tomcat has no control about the threads that were opened,

any suggestions, please?

Ferran

Re: Strange Thread Behaviour

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> It seems like tomcat has no control about the threads that were opened,
>
> any suggestions, please?

Yes, no attempt is being made at killing processing threads that were
created. OTOH, they should be reused if some high load situation occurs
again (no new threads will be created).
Unless you're really short on OS resources, I don't see that being a huge
problem.

Remy