Posted to bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org by Mark Crocker <mc...@markcrocker.com> on 2003/04/03 22:45:46 UTC

BCEL and Java 1.4.x compatibility

I ran into a minor problem using the preverifier in Sun's Wireless Toolkit to preverify a class file that had been compiled with Java 1.4.1.  I suspect that it is simply a problem with the preverifier rejecting the version number because using a target of 1.1 when compiling fixed the problem.

However, there are enough changes in Java 1.4.x that it got me wondering if BCEL was compatible with the Java 1.4.x class file format.  Have there been any VM changes with 1.4.x that cause problems for BCEL?  If so, is there any documentation available from Sun on the new class file format... I haven't been able to find any definitive information on this and the JVM Specification doesn't mention Java 1.4.x at all.

           __
     __   / /\
   /  /  \/ / /\ Mark Crocker
  /  / /\ \ \/ / mcrocker@markcrocker.com