Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/04/12 19:02:57 UTC

Jena 2.10.1 - time to start the cycle?

How do people feel about a Jena 2.10.1?

The big change I've added is the new RIOT writers, which are active by
default.  I'd like to do longer cycle on users@ because, while I've
tried not to make visible changes, there will be some differences in the
detail of output for Turtle.  While I don't expect a lot of responses, I
think it's worth at least giving people the chance to check before the
release.

Are there things anyone wants to get into Jena 2.10.1? (and when might
it be ready?)

	Andy

Coordinated SDB 1.3.6 / Jena 2.10.1 release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 12/04/13 18:02, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> How do people feel about a Jena 2.10.1?

How do people feel like doing a coordinated SDB 1.3.6 release?  There
have been no legal related changes so the minimal checking needed is to
confirm the release process is executed properly.

I've been a bit surprised by the level of usage.  Having the version of
Jena it depends on drift too far from current may cause some of these
users some problems.

	Andy

Re: Jena 2.10.1 - time to start the cycle?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 12/04/13 18:02, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> How do people feel about a Jena 2.10.1?

Please close off JIRA for tracking purposes.

Generally, I don't find "resolved" a helpful state.  There is limited
use for wanting the person reporting to check something but that's
uncommon.  If you think the JIRA is addressed, test cases added etc and
no further work or comments is needed, please close them.  It can be
reopened if needed.

"Close" should be the default; leaving "resolved" for special cases.

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
I just updated to the latest from SVN and ran a build cycle on windows
without problems with the units. I haven't done any significant testing in
our platform suite and I'm not sure I'll get to it, but I am also in favor
of a release as the bug fixes are worthwhile for us and we were about to
kick of an approval process for 2.10.0 (so I rather change that to 2.10.1)

thanks

Simon

From:
Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>
To:
dev@jena.apache.org,
Date:
04/25/2013 03:03 PM
Re: Jena 2.10.1 - time to start the cycle?

Fixing JENA-440 (query timeouts) has taken longer than I'd hoped, then I
was away for a couple of days.  But the timeout changes are something
I'm quite keen that is tested properly.

Done now.  I'll send email to users@ ASAP after forcing a deployment to
the snapshot repository. The announcement will need JENA-440 and
JENA-439 (wrong HTTP status code on timeouts) pointing out as worthy of
testing.

Everyone - this doesn't close the codebase to fixes - what other JIRA to
aim for (but treat as blocking),

                 Andy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 25/04/13 19:58, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Fixing JENA-440 (query timeouts) has taken longer than I'd hoped, then I
> was away for a couple of days.  But the timeout changes are something
> I'm quite keen that is tested properly.
>
> Done now.  I'll send email to users@ ASAP after forcing a deployment to
> the snapshot repository. The announcement will need JENA-440 and
> JENA-439 (wrong HTTP status code on timeouts) pointing out as worthy of
> testing.
>
> Everyone - this doesn't close the codebase to fixes - what other JIRA to
> aim for (but treat as blocking),

I'll be looking at JENA-444 before the release.

If someone could process JENA-442 it would be good as well -- a
contribution of an improved service script.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
OK - release for 2.10.1 has been set in progress.

I'm still planning on doing a co-ordinated SDB release but that may take
a bit of sorting out. In theory, multiple builds per stagign repo are
possible but I haven't tested how that interacts with the mvn release
plugin.

Rather than delay 2.10.1, I've done the 2.10.1 now.  SDB can follow
shortly (it is the same amount of checking needed).

Again - kudos to Rob's instructions - including recovery from svn mirror
lack-of-sync.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 10/05/13 14:32, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> On 10/05/13 11:46, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>> Then the JENA-450 report came in. JENA-450 is the problem that code
>> can't create OntModels inside read transactions when the model is new --
>> it tries to set prefixes and read-only really is read-only.
>>
>> The OntModelImpl constructor copies in prefixes from the profile.  If
>> the model is new, the prefixes aren't defined in the model, and the code
>> sets them.  But it can't.
>>
>> A couple of possible fixes:
>>
>> 1/ Put try{} around the setNsPrefix loop and skip if an exception occurs.
>>
>> 2/ Always have an updatable in-memory prefix mapping for read-only model.
>>
>> (2) seems better but I'm not absolutely sure how to achieve it yet
>> within the current mechanism.
> It would be so, so much better if a prefix mapping was a thing that a
> model had by composition, rather than a thing that a model subclassed.
> That might be a good change to think about making in future. I've never
> liked the current setup :)
>
> Is there a way of telling whether a model is read-only, other than
> trying a write and catching the exception?

No - there is Capabilities on graphs but as far as I know, nothing uses
them.  looks like the app can't get to them via the model any way.  They
don't provide a clear cut can/can't - they provide "can perform" on
variations of add and delete.

The only uses I can find are:

1/ sizeAccurate() the isomorphism matcher.

2/ findContractSafe() in teh RDF/XML-ABBREV writer - I have no idea what
"safe" means.

/**
  Answer true if the find() contract on the associated graph
  is "safe", ie, can be used safely by the pretty-printer (we'll
  tighten up that definition).
  */

> An alternative behaviour-altering change would be to remove the default
> prefixes from OntModel altogether, hence no need to do any updates in
> the constructor. OntModel is the only model that does set default
> prefixes, and the ones it sets are rdf:, rdfs:, owl: and xsd:. One could
> argue that there's utility in those being available in all models by
> default, in which case it could be a read-only extension to the base
> mapping.

How about adding that to JENA-189 (Jena3 collecting)?

>> Long term, beyond 2.10.1, changing the design of TDB graphs to have
>> graphs work across transaction boundaries looks like the right thing to
>> do.  The graph also carries around internal details used by the query
>> execution engine. Then model.begin/model.commit can work as a write
>> transaction.  Not the sort of thing to do just before a release after
>> people have tested for us.
>>
>> For this release, I suggest a short amount of time to see if there is
>> some temporary fix for JENA-450 (e.g. 1), then do the release
>> regardless.  This isn't a regression; it does need fixing; there are
>> many other things in 2.10.1 that are better than 2.10.0.
> I can do that if you'd like me to.

Great - we might as well do (1) (try-catch on setNSPrefix) anyway and
(2) if it also works.  No cost in having both.

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Owens <st...@thoughtwire.ca>.
+1, love to have this version.

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com> wrote:

> Yes things look good, I don't think I have anything else that I need/want
> to get into the release
>
> Rob
>

> On 5/7/13 6:45 AM, "Andy Seaborne" <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >So far, so good.
> >
> >There have been some useful reports, including SDB, and some
> >fixes/additions:
> >
> >+ Added improved Fuseki start script
> >
> >+ OpAsQuery fix rewriting nested selects
> >
> >+ Optimizer improvement for DISTINCT and ORDER BY
> >
> >+ Serializing queries for SERVICE: property paths could break the syntax.
> >
> >+ One significant fix to RIOT in the handling file: URIs mostly
> >affecting Windows
> >
> >+ Query timeouts now work as advertised
> >

> >JENA-447 is SDB related but it's not a regression as far as I can see.
> >(Seems to be something with concurrent, transactions and the bulk loader.)
> >
> >       Andy

*
*

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Fixing JENA-440 (query timeouts) has taken longer than I'd hoped, then I
was away for a couple of days.  But the timeout changes are something
I'm quite keen that gets tested properly.

Done now.  I'll send email to users@ ASAP - it'll need JENA-440 pointing
out as worthy of testing.

Everyone - this doesn't close the codebase to fixes - what other JIRA
are you aiming for (but treat as blocking)?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
Andy

Posted by Stephen Owens <st...@thoughtwire.ca>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
Yes of course, go ahead and start the testing cycle

I'm not sure how important the HTTP cookie thing is anyway because the
design discussions here are leaning towards using HTTP basic
authentication as the shortest path to getting things done so being able
to maintain cookie state over a series of requests is likely to be low
priority for us for now.  It would be a nice enhancement to have long term
so I will file a JIRA for it.

Rob

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Rob,

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by Stephen Owens <st...@thoughtwire.ca>.
Big +1 for me. It has the concurrent modification fix that I've been
looking forward to. We use Turtle output fairly heavily so I'll give 2.10.1
a spin through our tests just to be sure it hasn't messed up anything. I'll
try to do that over the weekend.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> There is one other change of note albeit minor.
>
> Parser-generated blank node labels change (except RDF/XML).
>
> N-Triples/N-Quads print using the internal label (for scalability).
>
> This should not matter to anyone but it is visible.  It may cause the odd
> question.
>
>         Andy
>

> On 12/04/13 18:54, Claude Warren wrote:
>
>> +1 for now
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  How do people feel about a Jena 2.10.1?
>>>
>>> The big change I've added is the new RIOT writers, which are active by
>>> default.  I'd like to do longer cycle on users@ because, while I've
>>> tried
>>> not to make visible changes, there will be some differences in the detail
>>> of output for Turtle.  While I don't expect a lot of responses, I think
>>> it's worth at least giving people the chance to check before the release.
>>>
>>> Are there things anyone wants to get into Jena 2.10.1? (and when might it
>>> be ready?)
>>>
>>>          Andy

*
*