Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Will Martin <wm...@outlook.com> on 2019/07/16 04:57:46 UTC

SolrCloud BACKUP single shard collections

Hi.

I have 8 collections in a 3 node SolrCloud: 6.3

Given the following scenario:
1. preferredleader REPLICAPROP for all collections on core_node2
2. zookeeper->overseer_elect->leader has core_node1
3. BACKUP command always writes to/using core_node1 ???

Notes:

  1.  all collections have exactly one shard.
  2.  note: preferredleader has been set due to drift from core_node1 for several collections' shard leader
  3.  all collections have been REBALANCELEADER, so the shard leaders are all on core_node2 according to healthcheck

non-canonical: I know Backup is supposed to have a shared fs mounted to each node, experimentation shows that when
there is only 1 shard, only 1 node is writing to storage; and if that storage is local fs, no issues.

I expected the writes to come from the shard leaders, but they are coming from the zookeeper->leader node.

The workflow has been rock-solid as long as we have shard leaders and solrcloud leader consistent with each other.

Is my expectation wrong [writes happen on shard leader for single shard collections]? I need defined behavior so that I know where to pick up the backup files. This is all implemented in a script, and deterministic understanding of what.writes.where will make it a success.

thanks

--will