Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Da...@lawson.com on 2000/12/06 00:01:22 UTC

Installing ant on Solaris 5.7

Howdy.

I installed ANT on an NT 4.0 server, and everything went fine.  I'm now
attempting to install it on a Solaris 5.7 box, but when I run bootstrap.sh, I
get the warnings:

     chmod: WARNING: can't access bin/ant
     chmod: WARNING: can't access bin/antRun

Upon closer inspection, I find that I can't access these files because the bin
directory doesn't exist.  I have copied the bin directory and its contents from
my NT 4.0 box via FTP (all end-of-line characters have been cleaned up), and
that allows the bootstrap.sh to complete.  But then build.sh runs into a problem
the first time it actually attempts to invoke ANT, with the message

     ... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
org/apache/tools/ant/Main

I believe the reason for this error is that the org.apache.tools.ant class does
not exist.  The ant.jar is not in the lib directory.  I tried to solve this by
copying
the ant.jar file from by NT box, but then I ran into another problem I couldn't
solve and by then I figured I had done enough hacking.

I have defined $JAVA_HOME and $ANT_HOME.  Any ideas about what's going wrong?

--dave

Re: Installing ant on Solaris 5.7

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 05:01  5/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Howdy.
>
>I installed ANT on an NT 4.0 server, and everything went fine.  I'm now
>attempting to install it on a Solaris 5.7 box, but when I run bootstrap.sh, I
>get the warnings:
>
>     chmod: WARNING: can't access bin/ant
>     chmod: WARNING: can't access bin/antRun
...snip...
>I have defined $JAVA_HOME and $ANT_HOME.  Any ideas about what's going wrong?

Hmm - I think the bootstrap.[sh|bat] assumes that if you have set ANT_HOME
then it should install to that dir - however the build process assumes that
it is installed to the same directory. Can you try unsetting ANT_HOME and
running it again ?

Cheers,

Pete