Posted to labs@labs.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2018/03/19 14:08:37 UTC

Help Wanted with Help Wanted

We have this awesome Help Wanted system, but something's not connecting
the dots. We get a few of these "I want to help" messages every month,
but I have never once (that I remember) see any followup from the
volunteer who has said that they want to help.

The Help Wanted system, which was written over a few days by Daniel, is
great, but it's incomplete. We need to adopt it and add the features
that are missing. Is this possibly something that we want to move to
Labs for enhancement? (Danny has been itching for some activity in Labs!)

In particular, I'd like to see some of the following features:

* When someone indicates interest, this information is added to the Help
Wanted item, and we have some way to follow up with them in a week, 2
weeks, a month, and so on. Perhaps some automated reminders?

* The ability to edit items

* The ability to add notes, status updates, and so on, to an item ... or
should we just connect an item with an actual ticket? Dunno.

* General usability and navigational enhancements. I frequently get
"stuck in a corner" and have to start from the front page again.

I am specifically and intentionally not asking Daniel to do this,
because we need to diversify the code base, and not have another tool
that only Daniel understands.

FWIW, the code is in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/helpwanted.apache.org and is
open for commits from all comdev members (I think). But we have various
non-comdev projects using the code, and so having it somewhere that they
can tweak it might be useful, and will hopefully also promote more
widespread adoption.

Re: Help Wanted with Help Wanted

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I only seem to have caught the end of this conversation, but I see my name
mentioned!
Yes, labs would be more than happy to host an effort to improve tooling,
subscribe to labs@labs.a.o when you're ready and I'll kick it all off for
you.
D.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Rich great issue to surface.  It's a big turnoff if volunteers are saying I
want to help and they are not getting direction or input.

Even a talk about JFDI is help.  They need to know not to wait for
'authoritative' responses.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.