Posted to user@struts.apache.org by message message <me...@hotmail.com> on 2003/08/05 18:04:22 UTC

RE: Application Design Document -- Struts Studio - Independent opinion

After reading this thread I downloaded Struts Studio.
Installed it.
I started up the studio.
Selected the Struts-config tab.
Noticed a message  saying  starting Coyote HTTP 1.1 on port 8880.

I then went to the Start game  icon where the message says right click &
select run.
So I did.

The browser started automatically saying "The page cannot be displayed".

As I have no doubts in my ability to start an IDE.
It must be the Sh***it waste of time studio which can't run a simple sample
program.

I just wanted to share this information with everybody because this kind of
thing happend alot with java sh***it tools.

Posted by Cameron Hickey <ca...@panoramatos.com>.
I followed the same procedure you described for struts studio, and was
quite surprised that the browser opened up, and actually did work.  I
don't know why you had this problem, but you probably should not be so
quick to blame it on the test application you downloaded.  There are
possibly dozens of factors related to whether this sample function will
work, most of which probably have to do with the custom configuration
you have on your computer.

For me, more relevant criticism of Struts Studio includes:

	- Scrolling with a wheel mouse in the code view does not work.
	- There is no simple way to zoom in and out on the schematic
view.
	- There are almost no keyboard shortcuts.

This application is by no means a robust enterprise IDE, but it does a
very nice job generating diagrams of your struts configuration, which
can be very useful for debugging applications, or explaining to others
how they work.  It also makes some of the manual modifications to all
the different properties much simpler and quicker than straight text
editing.

Cameron