Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Frans Thamura <fr...@meruvian.org> on 2008/03/10 10:10:52 UTC

Struts 2 IDE and Conspiration

hii all

we know, all the vendor now try to develop a JSF, which i read in the
struts2 website, that JSF is better for bizz application, and struts for
web.

but for me both are web based ...

and JSF is tool driven .... so, for me, the vendor can sell 2 thing if they
have IDE, the api and the IDE, this is 2 way marketing.

and we know struts1 IDE everywhere, but struts2 ... none of them......

any idea to improve productivity using struts2, based on traditional
approach

Re: Struts 2 IDE and Conspiration

Posted by Alex Choi <ay...@gmail.com>.
Yes,. WebWorks, Struts 2, and Struts 1 are community projects or open source
projects.  JSF was developed by an expert group lead by Sun Microsystems
(under JSR-127) and available for anyone to use.

When you mention JSF it sounds to me that you are interested in better
understand how to render a page within a Struts 2 framework.  This is where
Struts 2 has opened up the View portion of a MVC type application.  You have
your choices of tag libraries and page rendering APIs.  Struts 2 supports
JSP, Velocity, Freemarker frameworks, and any others that supports Struts
2.  See, http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/tag-developers-guide.html.

JBoss has a Freemarker IDE component that plugins into Eclipse IDE 3.2 & 3.3.
Freemarker IDE is limited in features but it is a start.  See,
http://labs.jboss.com/tools/download/index.html

I do agree that development tools for Struts 2 is limited at this point in
time.  This can change and as more people become interested in Struts 2
development.

Posted by Alex Choi <ay...@gmail.com>.
I have experience in developing web applications in Struts 1 and Struts 2.
IMHO, I think Struts 2 is an improved framework over Struts 1.  Again, that
is just me.

You can take a look at the following available online resources to better
understand about Struts 2:

   - http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/guides.html
   - http://www.infoq.com/articles/converting-struts-2-part1
   - http://www.ebookee.com/Starting-Struts-2_113168.html
   - http://www.roseindia.net/struts/struts2/struts2login.shtml
   -
   http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/10/my_history_of_struts_2.html

The above is a small sampling of online resources from issuing a Google
search and there is plenty more information around to help you make your own
judgment about Struts 2.