Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz> on 2007/07/03 19:11:31 UTC

Hibernate and OSGi

As you might be aware off, there is a lot of discussion going on about
how to use hibernate in an OSGi environment. I have been doing some
research for the next OSGi release:

* http://www.osgi.org/blog/2007/06/osgi-and-hibernate.html
* http://www.osgi.org/blog/2007/07/to-declare-or-not-to-declare.html

I developed a little extender bundle and a service that allows you to
declare  the classes that you want to contribute to a Session Factory.
Hibernate is pretty ghastly with this decentralized model and I also
do not think Spring has an answer for this.

I think this is a really interesting concept that deserves further
development. The code works, but it is not up to the quality needed to
let other people use it. I wonder if there is someone on this list
that would like to turn this bundle into a Felix project; I think this
would be a great service to the industry. Since I wrote the blog, I
got several questions about the code. It will also require to
bundleize the hibernate code and put it in commons. I have described
this at http://www.aqute.biz/Code/BndHibernate .

Is there anyone out there that wants to take on this project in Felix
(or elsewhere)?

Kind regards,

   Peter Kriens

Re: Hibernate and OSGi

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 04 July 2007 01:11, Peter Kriens wrote:
> As you might be aware off, there is a lot of discussion going on about
> how to use hibernate in an OSGi environment. I have been doing some
> research for the next OSGi release:
>
> * http://www.osgi.org/blog/2007/06/osgi-and-hibernate.html
> * http://www.osgi.org/blog/2007/07/to-declare-or-not-to-declare.html
>
> I developed a little extender bundle and a service that allows you to
> declare  the classes that you want to contribute to a Session Factory.
> Hibernate is pretty ghastly with this decentralized model and I also
> do not think Spring has an answer for this.

Why use Hibernate, when you can use OpenJPA ;o)  ??

I will take a quick look, but no promises...

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Hibernate and OSGi

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Yeah, I agree this is interesting, but I certainly have no time. :-)

-> richard

Re[2]: Hibernate and OSGi

Posted by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz>.
I'll make a package for you and then we can try to integrate it.

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

Re: Hibernate and OSGi

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Hibernate and OSGi

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Peter

Interesting - thx for the links.

2 or 3 years back we got a hyperjaxb demo going (which uses hibernate)
on top of Oscar. It was quite quite crude, and just as you found we
needed to include our own Session handling code which was very custom as
I recall. It did work though and prove the concept.

Would certainly agree with the potential value and usefulness of this as
a generalised service.

Regards

-- Rob

--