Posted to users@maven.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/09 12:50:39 UTC

javadoc plugin failures and recent behaviour change

I have a build failure that's happening when creating javadoc and it seems
to be due to a change in the javadoc plugin behaviour.

Here is a mvn execution log that exhibits the problem
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/kgoodson/javadocProblems/fresh.log

Here are the logic steps that lead me to the conclusion that this is a
plugin behaviour change

1) Building in my trunk started failing like this a few days ago
2) so I tried buiding an old unaltered release source tree which used to
build fine, against my local repo and it failed in the same way
3) so I tried an offline build of the same release source on a different
machine which had an old repository state, and it succeeded
4) so I zipped up the old repository from the 2nd machine and transferred it
to the machine where the failures had started and did offline builds of both
the release and of the trunk,  which both succeeded  --- at which point I
could assert that it was the repository state that was at fault (see
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/kgoodson/javadocProblems/dt_used_on_lt.log
)
5) so I completely removed my repository and did and online build of the
trunk from fresh,  which failed in the same way that I had seen in step 1 --
at which point I could assert that the problems were introduced by an
artifact which had been freshly downloaded to my repository

I see from the difference in the logs, that right at the start of the
javadoc:javadoc phase there is behaviour difference,  the one that succeeds

begins in this way
[INFO] [javadoc:javadoc]
.
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.generate.templates.model...

whereas the one that fails begins in this way .......
[INFO] [javadoc:javadoc]
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/AnyTypeDataObject.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/codegen/BytecodeInterfaceGenerator.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/codegen/GenerationException.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/codegen/JavaInterfaceGenerator.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/codegen/NoJavaImplementationException.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/CopyHelperImpl.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/CrossScopeCopyHelperImpl.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/DataFactoryImpl.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/DataHelperImpl.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/EqualityHelperImpl.java...
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/helper/HelperProviderImpl.java...

FYI, the poart of the log where failure occurs looks like this ...
Building index for all classes...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\allclasses-
frame.html...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\allclasses-
noframe.html...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\index.html...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\overview-
summary.html...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\help-
doc.html...
Generating
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/target/site/apidocs\stylesheet.css...
100 errors
2108 warnings
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] An error has occurred in JavaDocs report generation.

Embedded error: Exit code: 1 -
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/AnyTypeDataObject.java:22:
package commonj.sdo does not exist
import commonj.sdo.DataObject;
                   ^
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/AnyTypeDataObject.java:24:
package org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xml.type does not exist
import org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xml.type.AnyType;
                                      ^
C:/Development/Tortoise/distroTest3/java/sdo/impl/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/AnyTypeDataObject.java:36:
cannot find symbol
symbol: class DataObject
public interface AnyTypeDataObject extends DataObject, AnyType {

Is this a known issue?   Has my logic failed somewhere?  Would you like me
to raise a JIRA for this issue?

Best Regards, Kelvin.

Re: javadoc plugin failures and recent behaviour change

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Kelvin,

You may want to ask this in the Maven Dev List.

But as for now, so that you can continue without those build errors, you may
want to define the version to use for your javadoc plugin in the
pluginManagement section of your parent pom ([1]).

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-model/maven.html#class_pluginManagement

Cheers,
Franz

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Hmmm,  thank you for looking,  I'll take another look.
Regards, Kelvin.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kelvin,