Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/03/16 19:51:56 UTC

Bugzilla projects setup...

Hi gang,

I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
I've changed the links on the website to point at Bugzilla instead of
GNATS.

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

I think it might be best to start Bugzilla fresh, so I've opted not
to do any imports of our old PRs.  But, the old GNATS install should
still be there for those people who want to keep maintaining it and
attempt to clear out bugs from there.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I believe Pier can assign
administrative rights to anyone who needs it.

I have no desire to use GNATS.  It sucks.  Bugzilla sucks less.
Thanks to Pier for maintaining nagoya - we're just piggy-backing
on Jakarta's install.  Hopefully, this will work out better than
GNATS did.  -- justin

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Isn't "Apache" implicit?  I suspect "HTTP Server" is the easiest entry
> (or HTTP 1.3 Server/HTTP 2.0 Server).  httpd implies you are running
> on a unix-derivate, Win32 or Netware users might be somewhat lost.
>
> otoh, HTTP Server could be misinterpreted as the standalone Jakarta
> which would not be pretty.  Perhaps Pier was right, Apache itself says
> a ton.  If we populate a component list under Apache that tells the
> rest of the story, nobody would be confused.

Right.  The name definitely must have Apache, since everyone outside the
ASF (and many inside it) refer to it that way.  "Apache HTTP" would be
fine with me.

> What about core, the whole list worth of modules, apr and apr-util,
> pcre and xml as Bugzilla "Components"?

Yes, we need the component list filled in.  At least the "categories"
from the old gnats database would be a start.

The other thing that needs to be done "soon" is to modify the default
page under http://bugs.apache.org/ to at least reference the other
database.  Otherwise, both databases will continue to get reports.

Joshua.

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:31 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:01:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > At 12:51 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
> > >Hi gang,
> > >
> > >I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
> > >"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
> >
> > Ick.  Isn't this was version tags in Bugzilla are for???  Please delete
> > the duplicate, you know users will misfile anyway.  I'd rather just fix
> > version, not version+app on every misreport.
>
>Pier recommended the split based on prior experience.  Tomcat has
>separate Tomcat3 and Tomcat4 projects.  I just followed the
>convention already in place.

Then you needed "1.3" and "2" (or "2.0" for clarity.)  It's not my
preference, but at least be consistent :)

>I'll remove "HTTPD 2" for now and if we want to add it back in
>later, we can.

Fair enough.

> > And the app is Apache HTTP Server [or httpd ... lower case].
>
>It needs to be short.  Apache httpd?  In fact, "Apache HTTPD 2" is
>the longest project name in Bugzilla right now.  Pier recommended
>"Apache," and I don't like that as it isn't specific enough.  And,
>I think if we put just "httpd," no one would know what it was.

Isn't "Apache" implicit?  I suspect "HTTP Server" is the easiest entry
(or HTTP 1.3 Server/HTTP 2.0 Server).  httpd implies you are running
on a unix-derivate, Win32 or Netware users might be somewhat lost.

otoh, HTTP Server could be misinterpreted as the standalone Jakarta
which would not be pretty.  Perhaps Pier was right, Apache itself says
a ton.  If we populate a component list under Apache that tells the
rest of the story, nobody would be confused.

What about core, the whole list worth of modules, apr and apr-util,
pcre and xml as Bugzilla "Components"?

Making apr and apr-util as components will allow other apache-projects
to list those same components, and you can query these cross-project.
Jakarta is already using these in some connectors.

Of course, the apr component of APR solves this headache for folks
simply using the library.

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:01:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> At 12:51 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
>>> "Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
>>
>> Ick.  Isn't this was version tags in Bugzilla are for???  Please delete
>> the duplicate, you know users will misfile anyway.  I'd rather just fix
>> version, not version+app on every misreport.
>
> Pier recommended the split based on prior experience.  Tomcat has
> separate Tomcat3 and Tomcat4 projects.  I just followed the
> convention already in place.
>
> I'll remove "HTTPD 2" for now and if we want to add it back in
> later, we can.

Apache 1 and 2 _are_ two different products... They might share some of the
functionality from the outside random viewer, but IMO inside there's nothing
much in common... So, 1.3 should have one set of components, while 2.0 a
completely different one (IMO, again).. They are two products (IMO IMO IMO)
:) +1 to justin's approach...

    Pier

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> writes:

> It is absolutely necessary that bug reports and changes to bug reports
> are sent to the bugs mailing list.
>
> Bugzilla's "default" model of just assigning them to someone and having
> that person responsible for dealing with them (or having to have someone
> to out and hunt for bug reports to see if there is anything of interest)
> is completely inappropriate for our development process...

I personally would prefer that we don't switch to bugzilla until bug
reports and changes to them go to the bugs mailing list.  I hesitate
to agree with Marc's "absolutely necessary" language, though thinking
practically it seems very possible that it is "absolutely necessary"
if I am to be able to work as effectively with bugzilla bug reports as
I am with gnats bug reports.  This is just a statement of my own
preferred way to find out about bugs and whether or not anybody is
working on them.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> > But nice work, thanks!  Could we simply auto-populate the subscriptions
> > from bugz, with a NICE NOTE first that this change is happening, and how
> > to unsubscribe?  Or should we email-forward bugz reports to the bugs list,
> > and let folks unsubscribe the old-fashioned way?  No good answer here.
>
> I'm not familiar with bugz@ or what you are talking about.  I think
> Pier could setup bugzilla to send reports to the bugz@ ML (to any
> arbitrary address really), but there won't be any way to change the
> data via mail.

It is absolutely necessary that bug reports and changes to bug reports
are sent to the bugs mailing list.

Bugzilla's "default" model of just assigning them to someone and having
that person responsible for dealing with them (or having to have someone
to out and hunt for bug reports to see if there is anything of interest)
is completely inappropriate for our development process...

We are also now telling people that they need to search for existing
bug reports in a database without any existing PRs.  If we are going
to move on with having two completely different bug databases that
have to be searched, etc. the distinction needs to be made more obvious.

I'm not at all against switching to bugzilla, but just hope the switch
has been planned well enough that we won't have to revert back just
like the last time it was attempted.

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:01:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:51 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
> >Hi gang,
> >
> >I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
> >"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
>
> Ick.  Isn't this was version tags in Bugzilla are for???  Please delete
> the duplicate, you know users will misfile anyway.  I'd rather just fix
> version, not version+app on every misreport.

Pier recommended the split based on prior experience.  Tomcat has
separate Tomcat3 and Tomcat4 projects.  I just followed the
convention already in place.

I'll remove "HTTPD 2" for now and if we want to add it back in
later, we can.

> And the app is Apache HTTP Server [or httpd ... lower case].

It needs to be short.  Apache httpd?  In fact, "Apache HTTPD 2" is
the longest project name in Bugzilla right now.  Pier recommended
"Apache," and I don't like that as it isn't specific enough.  And,
I think if we put just "httpd," no one would know what it was.

> But nice work, thanks!  Could we simply auto-populate the subscriptions
> from bugz, with a NICE NOTE first that this change is happening, and how
> to unsubscribe?  Or should we email-forward bugz reports to the bugs list,
> and let folks unsubscribe the old-fashioned way?  No good answer here.

I'm not familiar with bugz@ or what you are talking about.  I think
Pier could setup bugzilla to send reports to the bugz@ ML (to any
arbitrary address really), but there won't be any way to change the
data via mail.

>  > I've changed the links on the website to point at Bugzilla instead of GNATS.
>  >
>  > http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> Outch again... can we please get some link or alias set up that might
> get us back into sync, like bugz.apache.org so folks have a simple
> name to remember?

That's an infrastructure@ issue, and nothing I have control
over.  But, yes, it's a good point, however there's nothing I can
do about that.  The Jakarta people have used this URL without any
problems though for quite a long time.  -- justin

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:51 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
>I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
>"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.

Ick.  Isn't this was version tags in Bugzilla are for???  Please delete
the duplicate, you know users will misfile anyway.  I'd rather just fix
version, not version+app on every misreport.

And the app is Apache HTTP Server [or httpd ... lower case].

But nice work, thanks!  Could we simply auto-populate the subscriptions
from bugz, with a NICE NOTE first that this change is happening, and how
to unsubscribe?  Or should we email-forward bugz reports to the bugs list,
and let folks unsubscribe the old-fashioned way?  No good answer here.

 > I've changed the links on the website to point at Bugzilla instead of GNATS.
 >
 > http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Outch again... can we please get some link or alias set up that might
get us back into sync, like bugz.apache.org so folks have a simple
name to remember?

Bill

Re: Bugzilla projects setup...

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:51:56 -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
>"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
>I've changed the links on the website to point at Bugzilla instead of
>GNATS.
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
>I think it might be best to start Bugzilla fresh, so I've opted not
>to do any imports of our old PRs.  But, the old GNATS install should
>still be there for those people who want to keep maintaining it and
>attempt to clear out bugs from there.
>
>If you have any questions, let me know.  I believe Pier can assign
>administrative rights to anyone who needs it.
>
>I have no desire to use GNATS.  It sucks.  Bugzilla sucks less.
>Thanks to Pier for maintaining nagoya - we're just piggy-backing
>on Jakarta's install.  Hopefully, this will work out better than
>GNATS did.  -- justin

Can we have a few more entries in the operating system list?
We at least need OS/2, BeOS & Netware.