Posted to rpc-dev@xml.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2002/10/04 19:22:21 UTC

Working HTTP 1.1 Support... but wait!

OK it works.  Fixed a minor problem with HttpClient and non-compliant
HTTP 1.1 servers and this thing works with all the XML-RPC servers I
have tried, as well as the ClientServerRpcTest.

So now an old question resurfaces: How to expose the functionality?  I
followed the precedent set by setBasicAuthentication to add
setUserAgent, and cookies are now automatically handled.  Furthermore,
at least on my system, I can use SSL with the vanilla XmlRpcClient just
by changing the URL... the encapsulated HttpClient does it for me.

The real dilemma: XML-RPC disallows certain features of HTTP 1.1
(chunking) but I know that people are using them (PHP-XML-RPC,
proprietary software used by my client's software vendor).  So... do we
allow users of the library to break the spec and setHttp11(true)?

Also, I have just submitted a patch to HttpClient, so it probably won't
be released in a stable version tomorrow.  If/when we introduce this
dependency, any Ant/Maven gurus want to automate that part?  I have
never used either.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks