Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pär Lidén <pe...@dtek.chalmers.se> on 2003/11/03 12:21:18 UTC

Error with swedish characters in filenames

Hi! I'm working both at school and at home, and use subversion to keep
track of my files. The server is located on my home computer. In school we
use FreeBSD 4.8 (with some custom modifications I think), and at home I
use Debian testing/unstable. Everything works fine until I try to checkout
the repository in school. When I execute this command:
> svn co http://loa.csbnet.se/svn/shared

I get this output:

A  shared/kalas_schema.doc
svn: Invalid argument
svn: Safe data:
"shared/biljettf"
... was followed by non-ascii byte 195.

Non-ascii character detected (see above), and unable to convert to UTF-8.

The file is named biljettförsäljning.xls; this is the adress the file has
when I copy 'n paste from the repository when I browse it with Mozilla
Firebird:
http://loa.csbnet.se/svn/shared/biljettf%c3%b6rs%c3%a4ljning.xls

My Linux system at home has no problem with these filenames.

subversion version: 0.32.1
URL to repository (not always up): http://loa.csbnet.se/svn/shared

Anyone has any suggestions of what to do? Or is this a bug?

//Pär Lidén

Re: Error with swedish characters in filenames

Posted by Wieland Pusch <wi...@wielandpusch.de>.
Hello Branko,

I get the same error message on Windows.
What can I do to get around this?

I used svn-0.32.1-setup.exe.
Is apr_iconv missing in that?

BC> SteveKing wrote:

Thanks
 Wieland                            mailto:wieland@wielandpusch.de

Re: Error with swedish characters in filenames

Posted by Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <ko...@iki.fi>.
Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi> writes:

> export LC_CTYPE=<locale>
> ie. se_SE or se_SE.UTF-8

Note that "se_SE" means Northern Sami spoken in Sweden.
Swedish would be "sv_SE".

> After that run perl -v, it will tell you if your locale setting
> dosen't make sense.

Try also "locale -a", which should list the installed locales.

Re: Error with swedish characters in filenames

Posted by Pär Lidén <pe...@dtek.chalmers.se>.
This is the output of locale:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

perl -v runs fine.

But I think that svn should really not care when it does not understand
some characters. If svn would just go on and download the files, and just
issue a warning about that character, I would be much happier. There must
surely be some way to tell svn to not care about this?

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.

Posted by Pär Lidén <pe...@dtek.chalmers.se>.
Hmm. Is there some workaround for this? I have no possibility to change
the locale myself at school, so there must be some other way.

Is there no way to just tell svn to ignore that unknown character and just
go on? As it is now, svn just aborts after finding out that it can't convert that
character. I have no problems writing and displaying these characters on
the system, so the locale appears to be right in some ways at least.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch>.
Posted by Pär Lidén <pe...@dtek.chalmers.se>.
Well, ldd svn tells me that it's linked (among many others) against
libapr-0.so.9 and libaprutil-0.so.9, both at home and at school, so I
can't see any difference there. Or should I look somewhere else for that
difference?

/Pär

Posted by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch>.