Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> on 2014/03/03 21:20:45 UTC

Remove AWT Fonts

Hi All

I wanted to bring PDFBOX-1959 to the attention of the mailing list. PDFBox is ready to leave AWT font rendering behind as the JDKs rendering has proven to be buggy and we now have our own renderers for all font types in 2.0.0.

Before we can do this we need to ship a set of standard 14 fonts with PDFBox as currently the system fonts are being used via AWT. We also need to provide a mechanism for the user to supply their own external fonts for cases where embedded fonts are missing.

The main question is, what fonts should we ship? Some of the "free" fonts I've seen render very poorly, any suggestions? Furthermore, are there fonts under more restrictive licenses which we could ship? Apache does allow for such files to be part of a project under certain conditions.

Also: Adobe has some font packs, e.g. Japanese, which we could point users towards.

Cheers

-- John

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
We have open issues due to missing or buggy platform fonts for the standard 14 set.
Continuing to use platform fonts will not solve this problem.

We should try to find some good open source fonts, if they are not good enough then
we can look at other options, but we should at least try.

-- John

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
John,

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Maruan

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi John,

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi Maruan

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi John,

Re: Remove AWT Fonts

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 03.03.14 21:20, schrieb John Hewson:
> Hi All
>
> I wanted to bring PDFBOX-1959 to the attention of the mailing list. PDFBox is ready to leave AWT font rendering behind as the JDKs rendering has proven to be buggy and we now have our own renderers for all font types in 2.0.0.
>
> Before we can do this we need to ship a set of standard 14 fonts with PDFBox as currently the system fonts are being used via AWT. We also need to provide a mechanism for the user to supply their own external fonts for cases where embedded fonts are missing.
>
> The main question is, what fonts should we ship? Some of the "free" fonts I've seen render very poorly, any suggestions? Furthermore, are there fonts under more restrictive licenses which we could ship? Apache does allow for such files to be part of a project under certain conditions.
>
> Also: Adobe has some font packs, e.g. Japanese, which we could point users towards.

Apache OpenOffice uses DejaVu fonts [1] and the OpenSymbol font [2].

> Cheers
>
> -- John

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler