Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/10/08 21:54:34 UTC

[IMPORTANT] Resolver.jar licensing

Sam Ruby has brought to my attention that including Resolver.jar
in CVS proposes a potentially serious legal liability.  It is
questionable whether the jar is OK in Cocoon's CVS, but it seems
that it is definitely not cool in Avalon's CVS (we have an instance
of the Cocoon in our CVS repository).

We need to come up with a full solution for the whole resolver
issue sooner than later.  The main thing is that by including
resolver in CVS, we provide an additional distribution mechanism
via CVSWeb.  That particular page does not have the contents of
the license, and Apache is not (in my knowledge) an authorized
redistributor of the package.  If Sun officially grants us license,
the issue is over.  If not, we may need to re-implement it so
that we avoid this potentially sticky issue.