Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Dominique Devienne <DD...@lgc.com> on 2004/08/17 15:47:25 UTC

Request for more access to IntrospectionHelper-stored info

I'm working on a combination task/doclet to document Ant tasks/types.

Currently, Ant gives access to enumerations of names for attributes
and nested elements for a given type thru IntrospectionHelper, and
once one has a name, the Java Class for that attribute/nested-element,
but on the other hand it does not provide access to the actual method
used to set the attribute or add/create the nested elements.

My goal is to extract the Javadoc comments from the appropriate method
for a given attribute/nested-element, out of the doclet, but I don't
want to recode a brittle mapping from attribute name back to the
corresponding Java method, especially when Ant already has this info,
albeit with no public accessor.

Furthermore, the new Ant 1.6+ add[Configured](Class) extensions points
stored in addTypeMethods are again not accessible publicly at all.

Does anyone objects to adding access to this information? Thanks, --DD

Re: Request for more access to IntrospectionHelper-stored info

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Dominique,

Have you looked deep into proposal/xdocs to see how its documentation
generation was done?  How much of what you're doing is reinventing what
was done there?  Sounds almost identical.  I leveraged
IntrospectionHelper as well as the XDoclet object model to get all the
info I needed.

	Erik