Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2003/01/17 18:18:38 UTC

A plea for closure

I've noted, with some dismay, discussion of making major infrastructure
changes to 1.1 pre-release.  Now, as much as I'll admit I've snuck a few
new features in under the wire, the levels of destabilization (and
delay) being proposed (especially in regards to gutting the Resource
subsystem) worry me.

I'm talking to a potential client right now who has held off on moving
to 1.1 "because it's beta."  I'm sure we all know companies with the
same attitude.  All the nice new toys of 1.1 won't do us as developers
much good until we can deploy them at clients.

There comes a time to drive a stake in the ground where ever you are,
and call it a release.  I'd like to propose that, modulo any critical
(and I mean show-stopper) bugs, we're there.

We all know that 1.1 has been a "Real Soon Now" release for a good long
time now. If we want people to adopt it (or move off of 1.0), it has to
lose the beta tag.

I'm the new fish in the pond here, but I wanted to put in my +1 for
sticking a fork in the puppy, 'cause it's done.

James Turner
Owner & Manager, Black Bear Software, LLC
turner@blackbear.com

Author:
    MySQL & JSP Web Applications:
        Data Driven Programming Using Tomcat and MySQL
    ISBN 0672323095; SAMS, 2002

Co-Author:
    Struts Kick Start
    ISBN 0672324725; SAMS, 2002

Forthcoming:
    Java Server Faces Kick Start
    SAMS, Fall 2003

Re: A plea for closure

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
James Turner wrote:
> I'm the new fish in the pond here, but I wanted to put in my +1 for
> sticking a fork in the puppy, 'cause it's done.

+1

Leave the Resources as is.
Delay any major changes to TagLibs until 1.2.

Fix any bugs remaining in the Controller/Module awareness of struts.
(I'll MAKE time this weekend to review open bugs).

Then cut the 1.1 release.

-Rob

Re: A plea for closure

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Well, I was hoping commons-resources would happen before the 1.1 release,
but I won't lose any sleep if it isn't.  You've got my +1.  Now let's knock
out some bugs!

--
James Mitchell

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: A plea for closure

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Even though having it 1.1 would save me an adaptor, I'd say we can
leave it for 1.2.

The upside with marking it LATER is that it gives us another carrot to
encourage an early 1.2. If we tried to do less in every point release, I
think we'd get more done =:0)

-T.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, James Turner wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:18:38 -0500
>>From: James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>
>>To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: A plea for closure
>>
>>I've noted, with some dismay, discussion of making major infrastructure
>>changes to 1.1 pre-release.  Now, as much as I'll admit I've snuck a few
>>new features in under the wire, the levels of destabilization (and
>>delay) being proposed (especially in regards to gutting the Resource
>>subsystem) worry me.
>>
>>I'm talking to a potential client right now who has held off on moving
>>to 1.1 "because it's beta."  I'm sure we all know companies with the
>>same attitude.  All the nice new toys of 1.1 won't do us as developers
>>much good until we can deploy them at clients.
>>

> Your clients aren't the only ones :-).
>

>>There comes a time to drive a stake in the ground where ever you are,
>>and call it a release.  I'd like to propose that, modulo any critical
>>(and I mean show-stopper) bugs, we're there.
>>
>>We all know that 1.1 has been a "Real Soon Now" release for a good long
>>time now. If we want people to adopt it (or move off of 1.0), it has to
>>lose the beta tag.
>>
>>I'm the new fish in the pond here, but I wanted to put in my +1 for
>>sticking a fork in the puppy, 'cause it's done.
>>

> The last remaining functionality I was interested in adding was switching
> to commons-resources, and there seems to be a growing consensus against
> doing that for 1.1 now.  Is that still the feeling of the other
> committers?
>
> If so, we should advertise 1.1b3 as a "release candidate" and ask people
> to throw it at their apps, so we can flush out any remaining bugs.  If we
> did a follow-up RC release in early February, we could probably put 1.1 to
> bed by the end of February.
>
> (Much of the time in between, in addition to bugfixing, will be getting
> releases of the commons packages we rely on done as well.)
>

>>James Turner
>

> Craig

Ted Husted,

Re: A plea for closure

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, James Turner wrote:

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:18:38 -0500
> From: James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: A plea for closure
>
> I've noted, with some dismay, discussion of making major infrastructure
> changes to 1.1 pre-release.  Now, as much as I'll admit I've snuck a few
> new features in under the wire, the levels of destabilization (and
> delay) being proposed (especially in regards to gutting the Resource
> subsystem) worry me.
>
> I'm talking to a potential client right now who has held off on moving
> to 1.1 "because it's beta."  I'm sure we all know companies with the
> same attitude.  All the nice new toys of 1.1 won't do us as developers
> much good until we can deploy them at clients.

Your clients aren't the only ones :-).

> There comes a time to drive a stake in the ground where ever you are,
> and call it a release.  I'd like to propose that, modulo any critical
> (and I mean show-stopper) bugs, we're there.
>
> We all know that 1.1 has been a "Real Soon Now" release for a good long
> time now. If we want people to adopt it (or move off of 1.0), it has to
> lose the beta tag.
>
> I'm the new fish in the pond here, but I wanted to put in my +1 for
> sticking a fork in the puppy, 'cause it's done.

The last remaining functionality I was interested in adding was switching
to commons-resources, and there seems to be a growing consensus against
doing that for 1.1 now.  Is that still the feeling of the other
committers?

If so, we should advertise 1.1b3 as a "release candidate" and ask people
to throw it at their apps, so we can flush out any remaining bugs.  If we
did a follow-up RC release in early February, we could probably put 1.1 to
bed by the end of February.

(Much of the time in between, in addition to bugfixing, will be getting
releases of the commons packages we rely on done as well.)

> James Turner

Craig