Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Christoph John <ch...@macd.com> on 2016/10/18 06:56:58 UTC

JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Hi,

just a quick question. I have noticed that MINA 2.0.15 is compiled with JDK7. Was that intentional?
It is not a big problem, but I would not have expected that in a patch release and also have found
no JIRA issue for this, so I could not check it earlier.
But I'll now go the same route and increase the JDK level in a patch version for QuickFIX/J now. ;)

Thanks and cheers,
Chris.

--
Christoph John
Development & Support

http://www.macd.com <http://www.macd.com/>

MACD GmbH
Oppenhoffallee 103
D-52066 Aachen
Tel: +49 241 557080-0 | Fax: +49 241 557080-10
	 Amtsgericht Aachen: HRB 8151
Ust.-Id: DE 813021663

Geschäftsführer: George Macdonald

take care of the environment - print only if necessary

Re: JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 18/10/16 à 10:35, Guido Medina a écrit :
> But still I wouldn't change the major version from Java 7 to Java 8 in
> 2.0.x, some legacy projects don't have the luxury to move to Java 8,
> in my case all my projects are running in Java 8 so in my case it won't
> make any difference.

I don't think we intent to move to Java 8 only any time soon for MINA 2.

In any case, we don't use any Java 8 construct in MINA, and the reason
we have kept Java 7 enforcment in Maven is for users taht are still
using it to not be forced to move to Java 8.

Hopefully, we didn't had any complaint about the switch from Java 6 to
Java 7 :-)

Re: JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Posted by Guido Medina <ox...@gmail.com>.
But still I wouldn't change the major version from Java 7 to Java 8 in
2.0.x, some legacy projects don't have the luxury to move to Java 8,
in my case all my projects are running in Java 8 so in my case it won't
make any difference.

What about Java 8 for MINA 3.0.x?

Re: JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Posted by Christoph John <ch...@macd.com>.
Hi,

yes, up to QuickFIX/J 1.6.2 it was compiled against JDK6. But for 1.6.3 (not released yet) I have
now changed it to JDK7 and for the 1.7-SNAPSHOT version we will use JDK8 now.
We were not using any JDK7/8 specific stuff so there was no real need until now. I'll have to admit
that we even switched to JDK6 quite late (in 2013). Until then we even had a job that converted the
compiled JDK5 classes to JDK4 code using retro translator. Doh. ;)

Cheers,
Chris.

Re: JDK7 for MINA 2.0.14/15?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.