Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Matt Mitchell <mw...@virginia.edu> on 2007/09/06 21:16:34 UTC

solr/home

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Solr 1.2. I've set it up through Tomcat using
context fragment files. I deploy using the tomcat web manager. In the
context fragment I set the environment variable solr/home. This use
to work as expected. The solr/home value pointed to the directory
where "data", "conf" etc. live. Now, this value doesn't get used and
instead, tomcat creates a new directory called "solr" and "solr/data"
in the same directory where the context fragment file is located.
It's not really a problem in this particular instance. I like the
idea of it defaulting to "solr" in the same location as the context
fragment file, but as long as I can depend on it always working like
that. It is a little puzzling as to why the value in my environment
setting doesn't work though?

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Matt

Re: solr/home

Posted by yo_keller <yo...@kepler.fr>.
I suppose you've solved this problem already. I just ran into it. And solving
it took the following steps:
-putting in the directory  ....\Tomcat 5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost a proper
solr.xml file, much like the one you have, containing only the text <br />
<Context docBase= "..../solr.war" .... > <Environment name="solr/home"
type="java.lang.String" value="..." /></Context>

- modifying the solrconfig.xml , and this was another necessary step ,
changing the default
<dataDir>${solr.data.dir:./solr/data}</dataDir>
to point to your actual solr-home e.g.:
<dataDir>${solr.data.dir:/usr/local/projects/my_app/current/solr-home/data}</dataDir>

To clarify my configuration: I work with Tomcat 5.5.20 under Windows-XP. My
current dataDir is actually:
<dataDir>${solr.data.dir:K:/solr/cur_solr/solr/data}</dataDir>

may be this could help ! This information should be added in the SolrTomcat
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat) - it would have saved me hours ....

yo

Re: solr/home

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Matt - hey!

In your Solr console, which of these three messages do you see?

         * log.info("JNDI not configured for Solr
(NoInitialContextEx)");
         * log.info("No /solr/home in JNDI");
         * log.warning("Odd RuntimeException while testing for JNDI: "
                     + ex.getMessage());

before you see either this:

           log.info("using system property solr.home: " + home );

or this:

         log.info("Solr home defaulted to '" + instanceDir +
"' (could not find system property or JNDI)");

???

Thanks,
	Erik

Re: solr/home