Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> on 2005/03/07 17:17:07 UTC

panel stack question

Hi, I have a problem which I don´t know exactly how to solve...

As far as I can understand, the panel stack control relies on an
embedded form in which the drop down box/selectOneMenu is placed.

I now have following problem.
I have a form and in the center of the form is a selectOne Menu. The
selectOne Menu is a chooser which then basically enables a different
subpanel below it so far so good, it basically works the demo way.
But I now face the problem, that the selectOne menu is basically inside
a bigger form which also contains the subPanel.
And here the problems start, the subPanel seems to refuse to swith to a
different panelStack element as soon as the whole thing is activated.

Did anybody solve this problem already or do I miss here something.
(in the demo the subpanel panel stack was outside of the form)

Re: panel stack question

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Werner Punz wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem which I don´t know exactly how to solve...
>
> As far as I can understand, the panel stack control relies on an
> embedded form in which the drop down box/selectOneMenu is placed.
>
> I now have following problem.
> I have a form and in the center of the form is a selectOne Menu. The
> selectOne Menu is a chooser which then basically enables a different
> subpanel below it so far so good, it basically works the demo way.
> But I now face the problem, that the selectOne menu is basically inside
> a bigger form which also contains the subPanel.
> And here the problems start, the subPanel seems to refuse to swith to a
> different panelStack element as soon as the whole thing is activated.
>
> Did anybody solve this problem already or do I miss here something.
> (in the demo the subpanel panel stack was outside of the form)

Ok I got it working, but I found a weird inconsistency which might
be rather problematic...
First of all, you can switch panels of a stack panel inside of a form,
that works. But the main problem is, once you have validators somewhere
in the form, and they trigger following happens.
The selectOne menu is selected but the stack panel switching is
prevented due to the error (dunno if this only happens if the error is
within the panel, but I doubt it).

That basically is a huge problem user interfacewise, because you can see
a switched panel on the selectOne menu, but the panel stays the same in
the stack panel part of the page. The proper behavior would be, either
to switch the panel, no matter what, or to reset the selectOne to the
old value.
I dont know how to fix this (probably has to be fixed in the core java
code). Guess I leave this open for discussion here.