Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by iStar Cloud <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/18 07:40:12 UTC

The time of usage of vm is counted by 35 hrs a day.

Hi CloudStack,

I've recently found CloudStack mailing archives while googling some issues.
I hope I'm sending this email to the right direction.

I've been developing cloud hosting website by integrating CloudStack with
billing and client management platform called HostBill.

Currently I have an issue about the time interval that running vm usage is
updated.
Hostbill is fetching cloudstack DB every 24 hrs. But the actual time
interval that counts how many hrs the VM has been running is not 24 but 35
hrs a day. Hostbill updates running vm DB from CloudStack every 24 hrs,
then the time of usage is supposed to be piled up 24hrs everytime it is
updated, but 35 hrs are accumulated. You might need to see a picture
attached for better understanding.

So I asked Hostbill representative about this and he told me there is
nothing he can do about it because the time is fetched all the way from
CloudStack and Hostbill hasn't modified anything related to it.

Now I have no idea where to start to fix this issue. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Nancy

Re: The time of usage of vm is counted by 35 hrs a day.

Posted by iStar Cloud <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tariq,

What I was saying is that HostBill brings CloudStack DB, and updates it
in HostBill admin area, where I watch and manage my clients'
activities, every 24 hrs. But the amount of time updated that shows how
many hrs VM has been running is not 24 hrs. Whenever HostBill updates
DB for each customer's VM, the time of usage is piled up 35hrs, when it is
supposed to be 24hrs.
For example, HostBill updates newly fetched DB at 12:00 everyday. And
Customer A starts to run his VM at 12:00 today. Tomorrow at noon, HostBill
updates DB at exactly the same time, 12:00. Then the time of usage of
Customer A's running VM is supposed to be 24 hrs, but instead it shows 35
hrs.
If you need more details about the situation, please let me know.

And I asked for the information you wanted to know. This is what I've got
from him.

1. Provide the values to the following parameters configured on HostBill's
CloudStack management server that you are using:

 - Those settings do not matter in calculations, as we use:
https://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.0.0/root_admin/generateUsageRecords.html(with
24h interval)
followed by
https://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.0.0/root_admin/listUsageRecords.html

So timezone settings doesnt really matter

 2. What version of CloudStack is HostBill using?

-  Various, customer provided, mostly latest

3. Is HostBill providing the VM usage data directly from the CloudStack
Usage database or via HostBill's own database/app?

-  It pulls data from Cloudstack Usage server every 24h and update HostBill
db with calculated amounts/charges

Thanks.

*SANOTEC INT. CORP.*
Nancy Kim
sanotecnancy@gmail.com <sa...@gmail.com>
+82-70-7600-5517
+82-10-5150-3631
 istarcloud.com
3580 WILSHIRE BLVD., STE 1460, LA, CA 90010

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Tariq Iqbal <ta...@shapeblue.com>wrote:

> Hi Nancy,
>
> What are you seeing that indicates 35 hours are being accumulated, can
>  you provide an example?
>
> Are you able to ask your HostBill representative for the following
> information:
>

> 1.       Provide the values to the following parameters configured on
> HostBill's CloudStack management server that you are using:
>
> *         usage.stats.job.exec.time
>
> *         usage.stats.job.aggregation.range
>
> *         usage.sanity.check.interval
>
> *         usage.aggregation.timezone
>
> *         usage.execution.timezone
>
> 2.       What version of CloudStack are they using?
>
> 3.       Are they providing you the VM usage data directly from the
> CloudStack Usage database or via their own database/app?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Tariq Iqbal
>
> S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M:
> +447909911600<tel:+447909911600>
>
> tariq.iqbal@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | Twitter:
> @TariqIqbal_<https://twitter.com/tariqiqbal_>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.