Posted to dev@madlib.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2015/11/07 17:23:29 UTC

MADlib as a new Apache (incubating) project, cpl items

Thank you to Roman, Ted and others on previous threads regarding guidance
on being a new Apache project.

1) We are reviewing the references mentioned to learn from them and apply
them to the MADlib project. The intention of moving to Apache from the
previous OSS governance model is to fully embrace the Apache way of
developing software in an inclusive, community-minded manner.  That is our
intention and we will work collectively towards achieving that goal.

2) On a more mechanical note, a "catchup JIRA" was filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-912 in order to catch up
between the time of the code grant to Apache and bringing in dev work that
was in flight at the time.  We apologize for any inconvenience in clubbing
together these multiple items in a single JIRA/pull request; it was a
one-time operation.

I have amended the Nov incubator report
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2015 regarding #2.

Regards,
Frank

Re: MADlib as a new Apache (incubating) project, cpl items

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
Thank you signing off the Nov report, Roman.

Regarding MADlib's first Incubator ASF release, our thoughts around this
are to include:

* completed/merged IP cleanliness changes for Apache (these were very
modest)
* completed/merged features (matrix operations/phase 2 and stemming)
* 2 key features in work (SVM, path functions)
* one more more other utility functions (pivoting, anonymization,
sessionization, prediction metrics)

The list of potential v1.9 JIRAs can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB/fixforversion/12333622/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-issues-panel

Ideally the v1.9 release would land later in Dec, however we would welcome
input from the community on content and timing of the release.

Frank

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.