Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> on 2003/10/19 07:26:10 UTC

Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

OK, can someone tell me how they have their eclipse project set up for
log4j?  I was able to:

- Create a respository location for the apache cvs
- Create a java project and synchronize it with jakarta-log4j in the cvs
- Update all of the source into the project workspace

Now I want to get the build.xml to work, but it keeps complaining that the
JAVA_HOME variable does not have the right value.  The javac command in ant
is failing.

And how in the heck do I get eclipse to not do its automatic build and just
to the ant build instead?

Uncle!

thanks,
-Mark

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 04:37 AM 10/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> wrote:
> > OK, can someone tell me how they have their eclipse
> > project set up for
> > log4j?  I was able to:
> >
> > - Create a respository location for the apache cvs
> > - Create a java project and synchronize it with
> > jakarta-log4j in the cvs
> > - Update all of the source into the project
> > workspace
> >
> > Now I want to get the build.xml to work, but it
> > keeps complaining that the
> > JAVA_HOME variable does not have the right value.
> > The javac command in ant
> > is failing.
>
>See http://eclipsewiki.swiki.net/118
>
>I've opted for including tools.jar in the ANT runtime
>classpath rather than the using the internal compiler,
>otherwise rmic doesn't work for compiling the
>examples.

Yep, adding tools.jar in the ANT runtime classpath seems to work well.

> > And how in the heck do I get eclipse to not do its
> > automatic build and just
> > to the ant build instead?
>
>See http://eclipsewiki.swiki.net/126

The above mentions the problem but does not solve it completely.

<quote>
"One other time this is used is for certain users that prefer to use Ant
builds instead. That is a more complicated topic."
</quote>

Anyway, many thanks for providing the appropriate links at eclipsewiki.

--
Ceki Gülcü

      import org.apache.Facetime;
      ApacheCon US 2003, 18-21 November http://apachecon.com/

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 07:40 AM 10/20/2003 +1000, Paul Smith wrote:

>BTW, if you're not running Eclipse 3.0 M4, I highly recommend going to
>it.  We've been developing our company's product with the 3.0 M3
>release, and that was stable enough for our purposes, and M4 released
>last week as some more neat features.  The Call Hierarchy view is worth
>it's weight in gold in the 3.0 version.

I am still using Eclipse 3 M3. It seems that in M4 they solved the biggest
"irritation" I had with Eclipse, that is the slowness of CVS updates,
commits etc. For more details:

http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-3.0M4-200310101454/eclipse-news-part2-M4.html

or, put in tiny-url speak:

http://tinyurl.com/rvor

>cheers,

ta-ta!

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
> I don't understand why the eclipse team doesn't make this easier.  I
> mean, I already wrote an ANT script to handle all of the details of the
> compilation, why would I want to (should I have to) duplicate that
> effort within the eclipse configuration?  If I were designing my dream
> IDE, it would be capable of importing ANT scripts for build
> configuration and would generate ANT scripts from GUI-configured build
> settings.

That is one thing I agree on.  Why we can't replace the Java builder
with an ant builder.

Paul

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <rd...@twcny.rr.com>.
Paul Smith wrote:
>>One more question...the package explorer is showing me all of the packages
>>in the project, but most of them have compile errors associated with the
>>Eclipse attempt to build the project (which I still don't want to use).  Is
>>there any way to get it to not display all the error garbage?
>>

> Three ways around this:
>
> * Modify your project definition to include all the libraries
> required..  Then eclipse will compile it all, with no errors... :)

I don't understand why the eclipse team doesn't make this easier.  I
mean, I already wrote an ANT script to handle all of the details of the
compilation, why would I want to (should I have to) duplicate that
effort within the eclipse configuration?  If I were designing my dream
IDE, it would be capable of importing ANT scripts for build
configuration and would generate ANT scripts from GUI-configured build
settings.

Ray

RE: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Wolf Siberski <si...@learninglab.de>.
Here are some more comments, maybe it helps.

Paul Smith wrote:

[Mark Womack wrote:]
> > One more question...the package explorer is showing me all of the
packages
> > in the project, but most of them have compile errors associated with the
> > Eclipse attempt to build the project (which I still don't want to use).
Is
> > there any way to get it to not display all the error garbage?

In my configuration, only a few (5) packages showed errors (with empty
classpath).
Make sure your source path is set to 'src/java', not to 'src' only (which is
Eclipses default 'guess'). Otherwise Eclipse gets confused about
the package names.

> Three ways around this:
>
> * Modify your project definition to include all the libraries
> required..  Then eclipse will compile it all, with no errors... :)

It took me 10 min. to download all required jars. This is probably
much less effort than trying to force Eclipse to work in another
style, especially as you need to do this only once.

> * Don't include the java source tree as a source path, then it won't
> bother compiling it.  You will then need to use the Find Resource method
> to find java files, because then the Open Type dialog won't have any
> Java source files to search from

Not recommended, because you lose all the nice Java features,
especially the refactoring capabilities.

> * [I use this] Ignore the errors in Eclipse.  You can still find the
> classes using Open Type, but you still get the errors.

If you want to go this way, you can disable most of the error annotations.
All relevant options are on the 'Window->Preferences, Java->Editor,
Annotations'
page.

Of course, you can also just close the 'Problems' window if you don't like
it.

Then the errors are shown 'only' in the package tree and in the left-hand
ruler of the editor.

> BTW, if you're not running Eclipse 3.0 M4, I highly recommend going to it.

I second this.

--Wolf

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
> One more question...the package explorer is showing me all of the packages
> in the project, but most of them have compile errors associated with the
> Eclipse attempt to build the project (which I still don't want to use).  Is
> there any way to get it to not display all the error garbage?

Three ways around this:

* Modify your project definition to include all the libraries
required..  Then eclipse will compile it all, with no errors... :)

* Don't include the java source tree as a source path, then it won't
bother compiling it.  You will then need to use the Find Resource method
to find java files, because then the Open Type dialog won't have any
Java source files to search from

* [I use this] Ignore the errors in Eclipse.  You can still find the
classes using Open Type, but you still get the errors.  You can modify
the filter for the Problems view to only show problems from a particular
Working Set, so you could define a working set which contains all your
interested packages so you're effectively ignoring the ones you are not
worried about. Then use ANt to compile it all, and ensure your Project
definition uses the same "Output path" that Ant uses.  That way Ant
compiles the code, and Eclipse can use the generated class files to
recognize those classes.

BTW, if you're not running Eclipse 3.0 M4, I highly recommend going to
it.  We've been developing our company's product with the 3.0 M3
release, and that was stable enough for our purposes, and M4 released
last week as some more neat features.  The Call Hierarchy view is worth
it's weight in gold in the 3.0 version.

cheers,

Paul Smith

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 10:07 PM 10/26/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Thank you to everyone for their advice and help.  I recreated my project
>with the Ceki's info, but I also:
>
>1) Added exclusion filters for contrib/ and log4jMini/.

Adding exclusion filters for contrib/ and log4jMini/ should not have been
necessary. Do you have 'log4j-1.3' (i.e that name of your project) under
Project properties -> Java Build Path? If so, that is probably the reason
why you had to add exclusion filters.

>2) Added a bunch of external jars, basically the same ones you would list in
>the build.properties plus junit.

Sounds good.

>Now I only get 3 compile errors related to the avalon logger.  I guess I
>need the avalon jar to resolve those.

Yes.

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Mark,

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Michael McAngus <ma...@infinet.com>.
On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Michael McAngus wrote:

> On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 07:37 AM, Tim Emiola wrote:
>
>> --- Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> OK, can someone tell me how they have their eclipse
>>> project set up for
>>> log4j?  I was able to:
>>>
>>> - Create a respository location for the apache cvs
>>> - Create a java project and synchronize it with
>>> jakarta-log4j in the cvs
>>> - Update all of the source into the project
>>> workspace
>>>
>>> Now I want to get the build.xml to work, but it
>>> keeps complaining that the
>>> JAVA_HOME variable does not have the right value.
>>> The javac command in ant
>>> is failing.
>>
>> See http://eclipsewiki.swiki.net/118
>>
>> I've opted for including tools.jar in the ANT runtime
>> classpath rather than the using the internal compiler,
>> otherwise rmic doesn't work for compiling the
>> examples.
>>

> Including the tools.jar in the Ant runtime classpath is the standard
> response on the relevant Eclipse email lists.
>
> To get to the classpath:  Window | Preferences | Ant | Classpath

Oops.  That should be "Window | Preferences | Ant | Runtime | Classpath"

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Michael McAngus <ma...@infinet.com>.

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Tim Emiola <ki...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Help! - Eclipse! - Uncle!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Hi Mark,

At 10:26 PM 10/18/2003 -0700, Mark Womack wrote:
>OK, can someone tell me how they have their eclipse project set up for
>log4j?  I was able to:
>
>- Create a respository location for the apache cvs
>- Create a java project and synchronize it with jakarta-log4j in the cvs
>- Update all of the source into the project workspace
>
>Now I want to get the build.xml to work, but it keeps complaining that the
>JAVA_HOME variable does not have the right value.  The javac command in ant
>is failing.

I faced the same problem. The way I solved it was to launch eclipse in a
shell *after* configuring the JAVA_HOME variable.

>And how in the heck do I get eclipse to not do its automatic build and just
>to the ant build instead?

Dunno the answer to that one. I'd appreciate an answer as well.