Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/02/21 23:08:17 UTC

Bundling OpenOffice

Change the subject for this sub-thread.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Vadim Korsakov <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion negotiations with a hardware vendors is a good opportunity to
> make the product popular. I also support this point of view. When I obtained
> my laptop I also got 30 days free trial of one well known office software.
> But when trial had ended I was forced to find some free and/or open source
> solution because I was a student and I could not afford to buy also a
> software for my PC. Now I am a happy user with several years experience of
> using open office and other open source software. I am really lucky guy
> because my university studies were related to IT and I knew how to optimize
> my software expenses but there are dozens of non-tech people who knows only
> one office software distribution and need to buy  it instead of investing
> these money into their start ups, business or own projects.

Exactly. Other hardware vendor often give only "trial" versions of MS
Office.  But they could give the real, permanent, free OpenOffice.

> But I also think that we should not forget about pure software developers.
> If we are talking about any well known non OS proprietary software developer
>  we may try to negotiate with them about including OOo into their DVD and
> electronic distributions. A company which will agree to be our partner will
> show that they support open source community. It is a very good
> advertisement for both of us which will cost $0.

Do you have any SW vendors in mind?

Another possible partner might be telecom provider or large ISP.  They
could make a customized version of OpenOffice available to their
customers.  It might, for example, come with an extension that saves
documents to the ISP's cloud storage system.  Or it could have other
tie-ins to their services.

> SW developers have a good promotional resources for our community's project
> and we also may promote them at the same time. I think it is a mutual
> benefit.
>
> Vadim.
>

> On 21-Feb-12 18:53, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Vadim Korsakov<va...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am thinking also about general promotion of open office.
>>> I also think it would be a great idea to encourage companies who make
>>> proprietary software to include OpenOffice in their distributions. But I
>>> do
>>> not think that companies who make proprietary OS will include OOo in
>>> their
>>> distributions. In most cases they have their own office software that

OpenOffice promotion tips

Posted by Vadim Korsakov <va...@gmail.com>.
Dear mailing list  participants

I was thinking about OOo promotion considered the earlier mentioned
points of view and think that we may collaborate with shops who sell
computers.

They may present a  disk with open office as a bonus to their customers.
I will try to negotiate with some of such shops which are situated in
Finland. I am still not sure but in my opinion it will be a good idea.
I also need any other tips related to OOo promotion. Please share your
opinions...

BR
Vadim Korsakov