Posted to users@camel.apache.org by adalfovo <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/23 09:41:07 UTC

Unzip huge single entry file throws OutOfMemory

Hi,
we have a 3.5 Mb zip file that contains a 45Mb text file. When we try to
unzip it the route throws an OutOfMemory.
Camel runs on a Jboss EAP 6.4.5  instance.
This is our route :

from("servlet://?httpMethodRestrict=POST&servletName=XXX&matchOnUriPrefix=true")
            .unmarshal().mimeMultipart()
            .unmarshal().zipFile()....

The stacktrace says:

RouteId              ProcessorId          Processor
Elapsed (ms)
[route1] [post]
[servlet:/?httpMethodRestrict=POST&matchOnUriPrefix=true&servletName=XXX] [
1008]
[route1] [unmarshal1]
[unmarshal[org.apache.camel.model.dataformat.MimeMultipartDataFormat@5bbe2866]
] [         0]
[route1] [unmarshal2]
[unmarshal[org.apache.camel.model.dataformat.ZipFileDataFormat@1ebcbd75]
] [      1006]

Stacktrace
org.apache.camel.CamelExecutionException: Exception occurred during
execution on the exchange: Exchange[ID-123]
        at
org.apache.camel.util.ObjectHelper.wrapCamelExecutionException(ObjectHelper.java:1706)
        at
org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultExchange.setException(DefaultExchange.java:349)
        at
org.apache.camel.processor.UnmarshalProcessor.process(UnmarshalProcessor.java:84)
        at
org.apache.camel.management.InstrumentationProcessor.process(InstrumentationProcessor.java:77)
        at
org.apache.camel.processor.RedeliveryErrorHandler.process(RedeliveryErrorHandler.java:468)
        at
org.apache.camel.processor.CamelInternalProcessor.process(CamelInternalProcessor.java:197)
        at org.apache.camel.processor.Pipeline.process(Pipeline.java:121)
        at org.apache.camel.processor.Pipeline.process(Pipeline.java:83)
        at
org.apache.camel.processor.CamelInternalProcessor.process(CamelInternalProcessor.java:197)
        at
org.apache.camel.util.AsyncProcessorHelper.process(AsyncProcessorHelper.java:109)
        at
org.apache.camel.processor.DelegateAsyncProcessor.process(DelegateAsyncProcessor.java:91)
        at
org.apache.camel.http.common.CamelServlet.service(CamelServlet.java:143)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:295)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:214)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:231)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:149)
        at
org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.java:169)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:150)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:97)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:102)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:344)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:854)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:653)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:926)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

How can we fix this problem?

Re: Unzip huge single entry file throws OutOfMemory

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure but wouldn't it be easier to first save the file to disk.
Then let another route pick the file and perform unzip. See here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18520045/unzip-files-with-apache-camel

Posted by adalfovo <da...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much!
Now it's working

RE: Unzip huge single entry file throws OutOfMemory

Posted by "Siano, Stephan" <st...@sap.com>.
Hi Claus,

Sorry, I looked into the wrong branch. Starting with Camel 2.17 the change is already there, so if you have Camel 2.17 or later and enable stream caching on your route, you should not go OOM (at least not with the zip file unmarshalling, if there is no more space for a 45 MB byte array your route may fail later).

Best regards
Stephan

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
I think the ZipFileDataFormat was recently improved to use stream
caching so it spool to disk for big streams.

Ticket is: CAMEL-9274

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Siano, Stephan <st...@sap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ZipFileDataFormat reads the file content into a byte array, I guess your server goes OOM while doing that.  Theoretically it might be possible to extend the component to support streaming if a stream caching is enabled on the route, however someone would have to contribute that to Camel.
>
> Short term the only way I see for you is to increase the heap size of your server. 45 MB is not so much memory, so this should be feasible.
>
> Best regards
>
> Stephan

Claus Ibsen