Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Goerzen <jg...@complete.org> on 2003/04/03 16:31:18 UTC

Auto-cleaning of log files?

Hi,

I recently noticed that running hot-backup on my repository took it
from 693MB to 153MB due to log file pruning.  Is there any way to make
Subversion automatically prune these log files?  Failing that, is
there any way to set up a cron job to do it periodically, without
having to do a backup at the same time?

-- John

Re: Auto-cleaning of log files?

Posted by Michael Price <mp...@atl.lmco.com>.
Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
> The inactive log files are only important if you need to back out BDB
> transactions to back out damage caused by bugs in subversion.  I doubt
> that is something an ordinary (mortal) admin would ever do.
>
> I really think a default prune-after commit hook script would be best for
> most admins.

+1

Michael

Re: Auto-cleaning of log files?

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:

> John Goerzen wrote:
> > Failing that, is there any way to set up a cron job to
> > do it periodically, without
> > having to do a backup at the same time?
>
> As far as I know, most DBs keep log files for the same reason BDB does,
> and the same issues about deleting-after-backup could apply to them all.

The inactive log files are only important if you need to back out BDB
transactions to back out damage caused by bugs in subversion.  I doubt
that is something an ordinary (mortal) admin would ever do.

I really think a default prune-after commit hook script would be best for
most admins.

/Tobias

Re: Auto-cleaning of log files?

Posted by Peter Valdemar Mørch <pv...@capmon.dk>.
John Goerzen wrote:
> Failing that, is there any way to set up a cron job to
 > do it periodically, without
> having to do a backup at the same time?

As far as I know, most DBs keep log files for the same reason BDB does,
and the same issues about deleting-after-backup could apply to them all.

How about
svnadmin prune
?

Where
svnadmin ? prune
gives a warning about why only to do this after a backup.

And then for atomicity, maybe
svn dump -prune
is in order too...

Peter

Re: Auto-cleaning of log files?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
John Goerzen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently noticed that running hot-backup on my repository took it
>from 693MB to 153MB due to log file pruning.  Is there any way to make
>Subversion automatically prune these log files?  Failing that, is
>there any way to set up a cron job to do it periodically, without
>having to do a backup at the same time?

You can write a post-commit hook that cleans up the log files.