Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/01 19:16:11 UTC

Maven release

Hi ZooKeeper devs,

As you might have noticed, maven is gaining grip on the ZooKeeper
processes. Enrico, for example, just did a proof of concept on checking PRs
with a maven build as well.

Releasing 3.5.5 with maven would be nice, BUT! Here is my personal,
non-binding take on this: we shouldn't delay 3.5.5 just to do the release
with maven. Multiple reasons for that:

- We can always have a new release with maven basically anytime. 3.5 stable
has been postponed enough already.

- We should make sure everything works as backward compatible as possible.
For example, as one of the final tests, I plan to do a local install of
maven built ZK, update the version in a project dependent on ZK, like
HBase, and see how easy it goes.

- Documents and HowTos should be updated properly.

- Lot of Jenkins jobs and processes to migrate. Let's not rush this.

The PR for the assembly / release is open for a while now (
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/776), it is basically the last PR
on finalizing the migration to maven build (but definitely not the last
step, see my points above). But even on this PR, there are some
conversations on how the final release should be done. Feel free to join
the discussion!

If you have any questions, concerns, ideas, thoughts - don't hold back :)

Regards,
Norbert

Re: Maven release

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Norbert,
Thank you for making this happen

Il giorno ven 1 feb 2019, 20:16 Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.invalid>
ha scritto:

> Hi ZooKeeper devs,
>
> As you might have noticed, maven is gaining grip on the ZooKeeper
> processes. Enrico, for example, just did a proof of concept on checking PRs
> with a maven build as well.
>
> Releasing 3.5.5 with maven would be nice, BUT! Here is my personal,
> non-binding take on this: we shouldn't delay 3.5.5 just to do the release
> with maven.

+1  zookeeper 3.5.5 should be released as soon as we have a stable version

We will continue to keep ant and maven configurations in sync.

Enrico