Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2019/07/05 21:57:45 UTC

[VOTE] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

The long awaited vote!  With a request:

Those voting +1, please consider also saying what kind of help you'd like
to provide the effort with.  Even bringing the message to your respective
communities will be helpful.  Gris, what other tasks need to be done, that
people could volunteer for?

Here's my +1.  I would be willing to help keep the conversation productive
and moving forward here on this list, and to spread the message.

If the vote passes, we'll send the following notice to the board.

Best Regards,
Myrle

-----------------
Subject: [NOTICE] D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program.

Background:  D&I wishes to perform UX research on the experience of members
of underrepresented groups as they get started with our communities.
Internships via Outreachy provide us with an excellent opportunity to do so.

A sponsor has offered to provide stipends via Outreachy which will cover 3
interns.  D&I plans to provide the following support:

* Advertise this opportunity to projects and seek mentors & proposals.
* Manage the project submission process to Outreachy, including filtering
out unsuitable project proposals, and, if necessary, making a final
selection of intern-project pairs.
* Ask interns for feedback on their experiences at various times throughout
the internship.
* Provide appropriate and useful feedback to the Foundation and to the
projects about opportunities to improve how welcoming we are, and what we
can improve on.
* Use this as an opportunity to increase awareness and acceptance of the
ASF in communities which we are currently not reaching as well as we would
like.

If Outreachy receives funding for more than 3 interns for the ASF, we will
facilitate the placement of such additional interns with Apache projects,
but we plan to keep the initial rounds of this project relatively small for
learning purposes.

We intend to measure the success of this program in the following ways:
* In a separate effort we will be working on and administering a survey at
regular intervals.
* We will ask participating projects to provide feedback on the program and
on our resulting documentation.

-----------------
The road ahead on this proposal is as follows (** indicates where we are
now):
 * Start a [DISCUSS] thread.
 * Allow the discussion to run as long as *new* points are being made.
 ** Start a [VOTE] thread to run for 72 hours.
 * Submit a [NOTICE] to the board.
 * Wait 72 hours for potential board objections.
 * Get to work.

Re: [VOTE] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 5:57 PM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:

> The long awaited vote!  With a request:
>
> Those voting +1, please consider also saying what kind of help you'd like
> to provide the effort with.

+1.  If this passes, and doesn't meet with objections by the board, at
a minimum, I will complete the IBM sponsorship of Outreachy.

While I won't rule out being a mentor or coordinator myself, my
preference will be to offer my support to others that may be
considering being a mentor or coordinator.  As an example, if there is
interest in mentoring within the Whimsy PMC, and that project
successfully attracts a qualified intern, I intend to provide
technical support to that mentor.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Awasum Yannick <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1, will spread the word in my local community and also be available to
mentor Outreachy this year.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
+1

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

+1 Currently I don’t know how much time I’ll be able to commit. It sounds like that currently I would not to the time to be an effective mentor.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
+1.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
+1

My contribution will be on aligning the frameworks of this project with the
UX research and the survey, since they will complete the picture.

Other things we need help with:
- Create a framework for mentors & mentees that produce resources for other
ASF projects
- Have D&I committee partners to keep the participating projects in the
loop and motivated
- We need help documenting the project/process and publishing it in our
website/wiki/Github

Thanks Myrle!

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I vote +1 and will volunteer for the tasks to effectively and routinely
perform what I see as needed metrics, specifically:

* Ask interns for feedback on their experiences at various times throughout
the internship.
* Provide appropriate and useful feedback to the Foundation and to the
projects about opportunities to improve how welcoming we are, and what we
can improve on.

Suggest this vote is left open extra time.  This is a holiday weekend for many in the US.

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail