Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/12/10 20:35:58 UTC

James, Avalon and Gump

> This at the request of Greg Steuk (sp?) for James but it
> seems like he wasn't a James committer.

You mean Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx>?  AFAIK, he is an Avalon
developer for whom eyebrowse has no record of ever having participated in a
james mailing list.  Not that this is a partisan issue.  Anyone wanting to
contribute on James would be welcomed.

In any event, Sam Ruby's point is well-taken.  We've probably been remiss in
not talking to the Avalon Community more often, other than somewhat after
the fact.  Previously, we've pretty much found out about problems with
Avalon changes when someone tried new jars and got bit.  Once we get current
again with Avalon, gump would provide an early warning system that something
is amiss and needs attention.

So cascading issues, like these from the Avalon decision to drop the
Component interface in favor of Service, would be caught by effected clients
earlier, and in time to initiate a dialog about code changes, which probably
should have happened earlier but at least won't wait until even later.

	--- Noel