Posted to ruby-dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2007/05/14 11:40:18 UTC

Fwd: [ANN] acts_as_solr has a new home, please update

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Fwd: [ANN] acts_as_solr has a new home, please update

Posted by Thiago Jackiw <tj...@gmail.com>.
Antonio,

Not necessarily. The acts_as_solr plugin is _only_ intended for use
with Ruby on Rails, as for solr-ruby being a DSL, you can use it with
pure ruby as well without the dependency of Rails.

--
Thiago Jackiw

Re: SV: Fwd: [ANN] acts_as_solr has a new home, please update

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 14, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:
> Shouldn't solr-ruby and act_as_solr be a single plugin? It seems
> like duplicated effort.. or am I missing something.. i.e combine
> all the functionality..

Antonio - I've recently started digging deeply into acts_as_solr
(after my initial hack that Thiago spun off).  I've been refactoring
acts_as_solr to use solr-ruby under the covers, which will make the
code base a bit cleaner and facilitate things like using the dismax
query handler.

Just this morning I got the refactoring complete such that all unit
tests pass for acts_as_solr and will be submitting a patch for that
soon.

It does seems like combining solr-ruby and acts_as_solr would be a
good idea, actually.... but that would  complicate solr-ruby quite a
bit with database/Rails-specific code.   I'm not in a hurry for that
sort of integration, but I'm quite open to it.  I'm not sure where
Thiago stands with that level of integration though.  I believe he's
new to solr-ruby, so we'll give him some time to come up to speed
with it for commenting back.

	Erik

SV: Fwd: [ANN] acts_as_solr has a new home, please update

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.