Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Deepak Mali <de...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/11 18:26:23 UTC

Query Regarding SOLR

Hello All,

if there is any way to set threshold memory to the solr indexing process.
My computer is hung and the indexing process is killed by the OS.

So , I was wondering if there is any way to set threshold memory usage to
solr indexing process in linux environments.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Query Regarding SOLR

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Specifically answering the _indexing_ part of the question, in
solrconfig.xml theres a ramBufferSizeMB (from memory) that governs how
much RAM is used while indexing before flushing to disk. I think the
default is 100MB or so.

Re: Query Regarding SOLR

Posted by Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>.

Re: Query Regarding SOLR

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/11/2017 12:26 PM, Deepak Mali wrote:
> if there is any way to set threshold memory to the solr indexing process.
> My computer is hung and the indexing process is killed by the OS.
>
> So , I was wondering if there is any way to set threshold memory usage to
> solr indexing process in linux environments.

Not really sure exactly what you are asking.

The members of this mailing list have no way of knowing what software
you are using for your indexing process, so we cannot speculate about
the memory usage of that process or how you can limit it.

The Solr server (and the servlet container that it runs in) is a Java
program.  Total memory usage is therefore controlled by Java.  If you
tell Java that it is allowed to use a 4GB heap, then the total memory
usage of that instance will never exceed 4GB plus a little bit (maybe a
few hundred megabytes) for Java itself.

Thanks,
Shawn