Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/18 17:09:35 UTC

start contributing to Wink with implementing google-gson provider

Hi devs,

I am an Undergraduate student who is willing to contribute to the FOSS
community. I have implemented a small JAX-RS server using google gson and
used JAX-RS 339-spec. With that experience i am looking for an apache
project to contribute and improve my knowledge on JAX-RS. So here i came to
Apache wink. I went through Apache wink documentation and got an idea about
the overall design.

I am already a contributer to Apache Axis2 project where I did my GSoC 2012
project on Apache Axis2, which is improving existing JSON support with
google gson library[0]<https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002>,
and also have previously implemented Axis2 JDK 5 Enum support
[1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967> and have provided
several patches. As i can see Wink have a set of providers(jettison, json ,
jackson) , here what i suggest is to implement a gson provider too. WDYT?

Other than that i would like to be familiar with the code base. If somebody
can point out few potential bugs to fix in startup that would be a great
help.

[0]
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967

Thanks,
Shameera.

--
Shameera Rathnayaka
Undergraduate

Re: start contributing to Wink with implementing google-gson provider

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Oct 25, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Just an aside, this is something that the CXF JAX-RS implementation would
>> love to have as well.  CXF currently does not have anything gson related.
>> With CXF being used as the JAX-RS implementation for TomEE/JAX-RS, there
>> could be a lot of people that could benefit from it.
>>

> What you suggest is implement gson support for CXF or if i implement a new
> provider for wink using gson there is a feasibility to add it to CXF too?

Depends on how you write it.   If you implement the support using standard JAX-RS MessageBodyReader/MessageBodyWriter interfaces and avoid the Wink and CXF internals, it's likely that it would "just work" for both CXF and Wink (and Jersey and RestEasy).

The part that would be different is how it's plugged into the runtime.   For CXF, it would likely be user supplied Spring configuration.  Not sure on the others.

CXF has a separate jar/bundle where we have many of the extra providers:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/rs/extensions/providers/

That said, most of the stuff in there does have some tie into CXF internals for things like configuration or XML/StAX utilities and such.

>> If it can be made "generic" enough (maybe just using the JAX-RS api's) it
>> may be something that the two implementations could share.   Or maybe work
>> on becoming a committer on both Wink and CXF.   :-)
>>

>> Seriously, there is a severe lack of cooperation between Wink and CXF.
>> Both projects could likely benefit if there was more cooperation.
>>

> As i am not familiar with CXF I will go through CXF documentations too.But
> if you could explain the scenario(how we can use wink implementations for
> CXF) here it would be helpful to me to understand the process.

Not having seen any of your code, I just don't know how "generic" it is in respects to using just the pure JAX-RS API's and extension mechanisms.  JAX-RS has the Reader/Writer interfaces that are specifically designed to allow plugging in additional mappings like this and, IMO, it would likely be a good idea to use those interfaces if possible to make it portable across JAX-RS implementations.

Dan

> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>

>> Dan
>>

>>> Other than that i would like to be familiar with the code base. If
>> somebody
>>> can point out few potential bugs to fix in startup that would be a great
>>> help.
>>>
>>> [0]
>>>
>> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shameera.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shameera Rathnayaka
>>> Undergraduate
>>> Department of Computer Science and Engineering
>>> University of Moratuwa.
>>> Sri Lanka.
>>>
>>> Blog : http://shameerarathnayaka.blogspot.com/
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

> Shameera Rathnayaka
> Undergraduate
> University of Moratuwa.
> Sri Lanka.

Daniel Kulp

Re: start contributing to Wink with implementing google-gson provider

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Oct 18, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am an Undergraduate student who is willing to contribute to the FOSS
> community. I have implemented a small JAX-RS server using google gson and
> used JAX-RS 339-spec. With that experience i am looking for an apache
> project to contribute and improve my knowledge on JAX-RS. So here i came to
> Apache wink. I went through Apache wink documentation and got an idea about
> the overall design.
>
> I am already a contributer to Apache Axis2 project where I did my GSoC 2012
> project on Apache Axis2, which is improving existing JSON support with
> google gson library[0]<https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002>,
> and also have previously implemented Axis2 JDK 5 Enum support
> [1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967> and have provided
> several patches. As i can see Wink have a set of providers(jettison, json ,
> jackson) , here what i suggest is to implement a gson provider too. WDYT?

Just an aside, this is something that the CXF JAX-RS implementation would love to have as well.  CXF currently does not have anything gson related.   With CXF being used as the JAX-RS implementation for TomEE/JAX-RS, there could be a lot of people that could benefit from it.

If it can be made "generic" enough (maybe just using the JAX-RS api's) it may be something that the two implementations could share.   Or maybe work on becoming a committer on both Wink and CXF.   :-)

Seriously, there is a severe lack of cooperation between Wink and CXF.  Both projects could likely benefit if there was more cooperation.

Dan

> Other than that i would like to be familiar with the code base. If somebody
> can point out few potential bugs to fix in startup that would be a great
> help.
>
> [0]
> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> --
> Shameera Rathnayaka
> Undergraduate
> University of Moratuwa.
> Sri Lanka.

Daniel Kulp

Re: start contributing to Wink with implementing google-gson provider

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka
> <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I am an Undergraduate student who is willing to contribute to the FOSS
>> community. I have implemented a small JAX-RS server using google gson and
>> used JAX-RS 339-spec. With that experience i am looking for an apache
>> project to contribute and improve my knowledge on JAX-RS. So here i came to
>> Apache wink. I went through Apache wink documentation and got an idea about
>> the overall design.
>>
>> I am already a contributer to Apache Axis2 project where I did my GSoC 2012
>> project on Apache Axis2, which is improving existing JSON support with
>> google gson library[0]<https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/shameera/18002>,
>> and also have previously implemented Axis2 JDK 5 Enum support
>> [1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3967> and have provided
>> several patches. As i can see Wink have a set of providers(jettison, json ,
>> jackson) , here what i suggest is to implement a gson provider too. WDYT?
>>
>> Other than that i would like to be familiar with the code base. If somebody
>> can point out few potential bugs to fix in startup that would be a great
>> help.
>>

> You have come to the right place, please start by browsing our JIRA
> system [1], and try to find something that interests you and if you
> don't feel confortable with the task I'm sure people here will
> help/mentor you as needed. if you don't find anything, please let us
> know and we can try to give you some other suggestions.

Thanks for your interest in Wink!

--kevan

Re: start contributing to Wink with implementing google-gson provider

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,Kevan

It is a very pleasure to have a this kind of support :). I already have
subscribed to both user and dev malling lists of wink. these days i am
going through wink documentations(user guide and also user mail archive
which is refferd by Kevan). Will try to fix few bugs which i think that is
possible at this stage.

Thanks
Shameera.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.