Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/19 19:30:17 UTC

Downloading LGPL Dependencies

RE: http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_DownloadLGPLDependencies

Are we planning on proceeding with some sort of mechanism to download
LGPL dependencies as part of the build process?

If so, I'd recommend we use something like Ivy or Maven 2's Ant tasks
and do all our dependencies - not just the LGPL ones.  I've spent the
last couple of weeks doing this for Equinox and it seems to work
pretty well.

As part of integrating this into Equinox, I've filed a lot of bugs in
Maven's Evangalism project and a lot of the transitive dependencies
for the projects used have been cleaned up.

The one advantage I've seen of using Maven 2 over Ivy is that isn't
too hard to specify all the dependencies in a pom.xml file - and allow
users to use Maven 2 /or/ Ant to build.  Also, Maven has plugins that
can generate Eclipse, IDEA or Netbeans project files - which is pretty
cool if you ask me.

I'd be more than happy to help with this integration as I've learned a
fair bit about how it works.

Matt

Re: Downloading LGPL Dependencies

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
As far as I understand it, you can't do anything automatically in
these cases. Not that means you can't use Ant/Maven, but the user has
to signify acceptance before a download occurs. This holds for LGPL,
BCL and probably any occurence where we're depending on a licence with
more restrictions than the ASL.

I don't know if you actually have to print out the licence on the
console, or if you can just point out that by typing 'YES' or
something they are accepting the LGPL [url] etc etc.

Hen

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
I vote against anything like Maven that tries to do things
automagically.  I've had nothing but problems when trying to use tools
like that in the past and I really don't think the build process needs
to be so complicated.  If it can be added in without affecting a
standard build using ant then that would be fine, but I don't think we
should require a package like Maven to do the build.

I vote to keep things as simple as possible.

-- Allen

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.