Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> on 2013/01/16 19:07:45 UTC

PDFBOX-1492 Grant ASF license

Hi,

as part of PDFBOX-1492 I added a small patch to extract the XFA from a pdf form. Unfortunately I can't find the button/checkbox … to grant ASF license. Would someone know how to do it?

With kind regards

Maruan Sahyoun

Re: PDFBOX-1492 Grant ASF license

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 17.01.2013 09:09, schrieb Timo Boehme:
> Hi,
>
> Am 16.01.2013 19:07, schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
>
>> as part of PDFBOX-1492 I added a small patch to extract the XFA from
>> a pdf form. Unfortunately I can't find the button/checkbox … to grant
>> ASF license. Would someone know how to do it?
>
> there was an update to JIRA in August 2012 which removed the checkbox.
> In an email on infrastructure@apache.org Doug Cutting explained:
>
> "2. According to the Apache license, contributions to Apache-licensed
> projects are under the Apache license by default, so the checkbox was
> only useful to specify that an attachment was *not* intended to be a
> contribution.
>
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#contributions
>
> 3. In the future, without the checkbox, one may instead add a comment
> stating when an attachment is not intended for contribution."
Thanks for the explanation Timo!

IMHO there is one exception. If it is a substantial contribution, e.g.
a bunch of new classes or a rewrite of a part of the software, we will ask the
contributor to sign a CLA.

> Best regards,
>
> Timo

BR