Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/03/21 06:36:44 UTC

Re: CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS : SOAP interop test suite

Glen,

No, I'm not on soapbuilders (I get enough email as it is! ;-) ....)

Seriously, here's what I'm thinking (Glen: perhaps you can pass this on to
the SOAP Builder list)

The SOAP Interoperability Conformance Suite (SICS) will basically be
defined as a set of Web Services Interfaces (described with WSDL) that
will test for conformance to every portion of the SOAP v1.1 specification.

SOAP Implementation developers wishing to validate their tools with SICS
will need to implement these interfaces using their specific SOAP
implementation and submit a test site URL to the SICS Online Validator.
The SICS OV will run through a series of tests that will implement the
defined interfaces and record the results.

All of the results for all tested implementations would be publically
available for review.   SOAP Implementations will be scored according to
how well they do during the validation tests, with each section of the
SOAP specification assigned a numeric value based on how important full
support of that feature is to enabling seamless cross-platform
interoperability.

Implementations that meet a certain score threshold (to be determined)
will be authorized to use a "SICS Certified" logo in the documentation,
etc.

Below is a rough certification checklist:

>  Download the SICS Interface Descriptions
>  Implement the SICS Interface Descriptions
>  Test your SICS Interface Implementation using the Validation Test Tool
>  Submit your SICS Interface Implementation for Live Online Validation
>  Wait to be notified of your Validation Score and Certification
Eligibility

Glen, feel free to give me a call sometime this week to discuss this more
in depth.

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Emerging Technologies, IBM
     jasnell@us.ibm.com (online)
     jsnell@lemoorenet.com (offline)

Please respond to soap-user@xml.apache.org
To:     <so...@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:        Re: CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS : SOAP interop test suite

Yes!  James, this is what everybody wants, and is talking about in email
and
on mailing lists.  Let's all do it together, and not scatter our efforts.
Are you on soapbuilders (at yahoo groups)?  I'm hoping there will be some
major action centered around this idea there in the next few days.

--Glen

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
James, how are you going to cope with the parts of the SOAP 1.1 spec
that aren't expressible in WSDL ?

Cheers
Simon