Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ol...@interaccess.com on 2003/12/09 11:46:13 UTC

Connection refused by svnserve

The title basically says it. It seems I can't connect to svnserve.
I checked the logs, and I've tried to telnet on port 3690.
No luck.
Suggestions?

Re: Connection refused by svnserve

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 07:04:17PM +0000, olczyk@interaccess.com wrote:
> svnserve -d, though it works listens at IP address 0.0.0.0
> So the next question is how do I get it to listen on the actual
> address?

0.0.0.0 is "all of the interfaces".

--ben

Re: Connection refused by svnserve

Posted by ol...@interaccess.com.
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:41:22 -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman
<su...@collab.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 12:31, olczyk@interaccess.com wrote:
>
>> I'm using the most recent version of Subversion-0.34.0.
>>
>> I've alternately tried
>> svnserve
>> svnserve -r /svn
>
>> (which the book claims is the port that svnserve listens on )
>>

>The book also explains that you need to run svnserve as a daemon (-d):
>
>"The alternative is to run svnserve as a standalone daemon. When started
>with the -d option, svnserve will immediately detach from the current
>shell process, and will execute as a background process which runs
>indefinitely, again waiting for incoming requests on port 3690.
>
>$ svnserve -d
>$ # svnserve is still running, but the user is returned to the prompt
>"
It also says:

One option is to register an svn service with the server machine's
inetd. Then, when a client attempts to connect to  that machine on
port 3690, 17 inetd will launch a "one-off" svnserve process to handle
that client's request.

Just before that. I misunderstood how the method works since I do not
work with inetd that much.

That begs the question of what the command for inet should look like.

-------------------
svnserve -d, though it works listens at IP address 0.0.0.0
So the next question is how do I get it to listen on the actual
address?

Also the deamon way doesn't indicate how svnserve is shut down.

It would really help there to have the startup and shutdown scripts
/init scripts since the one time I looked, they were really a PIA to
write.

Re: Connection refused by svnserve

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 12:31, olczyk@interaccess.com wrote:

> I'm using the most recent version of Subversion-0.34.0.
>
> I've alternately tried
> svnserve
> svnserve -r /svn

> (which the book claims is the port that svnserve listens on )

The book also explains that you need to run svnserve as a daemon (-d):

"The alternative is to run svnserve as a standalone daemon. When started
with the -d option, svnserve will immediately detach from the current
shell process, and will execute as a background process which runs
indefinitely, again waiting for incoming requests on port 3690.

$ svnserve -d
$ # svnserve is still running, but the user is returned to the prompt
"

Re: Connection refused by svnserve

Posted by ol...@interaccess.com.
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:08:59 +0000, Julian Foad
<ju...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>olczyk@interaccess.com wrote:
>> The title basically says it. It seems I can't connect to svnserve.
>> I checked the logs, and I've tried to telnet on port 3690.
>> No luck.
>> Suggestions?
>
>Show us the version of Subversion, the commands that you used to start "svnserve" and "svn", and the error message(s).
>
>- Julian
I'm using the most recent version of Subversion-0.34.0.

I've alternately tried
svnserve
svnserve -r /svn

To connect I've alternatively tried:

svn status svn://number/svn/
svn status svn://number/svn
svn status svn;//number/
svn status svn://number

telnet number 3690

number is the dotted address of the server ( eg 0.0.0.0 )
Forgive me for not posting the actual number. Even though
it is on a Lan, I may be opening holes while I figure this out.

(which the book claims is the port that svnserve listens on )

----------------------
Since I posted I tried
svn -d -r /svn
netstat reports svnserve listening on port 3690.

However I still can't connect to 127.0.0.1:3690

I misunderstood what the book said.
Clearly svnserve is an "interactive" program meant to be run one shot
from inet, unless you use the -d.

So that raises two questions:
1) What should the inet "command" for svnserve looklike?
     What port? ( Pressumably 3690
2) If instead I used the -d option, is there an example
"startup/shutdown script" around. ( I'm using Linux. )

Doh. I should have looked at closer at the netstat output.
It is listening on 0.0.0.0:3690
When I telnet there I get a response.
But not via svn. Which raises two more questions.
1) How can I setup the IP address for svnserve to listen on.
2) What should the svn call look like.

Thanks

Re: Connection refused by svnserve

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.