Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2018/08/08 18:24:13 UTC

Maven Central terms of service

Hi Legal-Discuss,

(NOTE: This is about Maven Central terms of service. I realize that Maven
Central is serviced by Sonatype, but since it is using a trademark of the
ASF, and because it is so closely associated with the Apache Maven PMC and
software, I'm wondering if this might be something of concern to ASF Legal
Affairs.)

It has recently come to my attention that the Maven Central general terms
of service[1] and the producer terms of service[2] are not [U.S.]
"government-compatible". This is in contrast to the Apache License, which
is very friendly to government and business. This is important, because
users of Apache Maven may not realize that it is configured by default to
utilize a website which is provided under different terms than one might
expect when using an Apache licensed product. I can see parallels between
this and the ASF policy regarding incompatible project dependencies: the
expectation is that when you are using an Apache product, you generally
don't need to agree to terms and conditions any more restrictive than the
Apache License, Version 2. However, this is not the case when using Apache
Maven out-of-the-box, configured by default to use Maven Central.

I know it's not exactly the same (website terms of service are not the same
as software licenses), but I think there's a similar expectation from users
of Apache Maven as there is with dependencies in other Apache software;
that is to say, users aren't expecting to have agreed to terms beyond ALv2
in order to use Apache software.

Specifically, I'm told that the government cannot agree to the
indemnification clauses, because that would violate the Antideficiency Act.
I found a decent explanation of this here[3]. Further, I'm told that the
government cannot agree to be bound by the laws of Maryland and
jurisdiction clause or the 1-year limitation for lawsuits in the general
terms.

Question 1: What is the ASF's position regarding Maven Central's terms of
service, and its relationship to the Apache Maven's software license terms
and user expectations? Is the ASF okay with Sonatype providing Maven
Central service under these additional terms, which one might argue are
less "friendly" than the ALv2?

Question 2: Is anybody aware of Maven Central "government-compatible" terms
of service already in existence?

Thanks.

(CC'd private@ Maven as FYI so as not to spam their dev@, but this message
should not be considered private)

[1]: https://repo1.maven.org/terms.html
[2]:
https://central.sonatype.org/pages/central-repository-producer-terms.html
[3]:
https://scholarship.shu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?httpsredir=1&article=1279&context=student_scholarship

Re: Maven Central terms of service

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Yes, that JIRA issue is related (it's basically a rewording of the same
info leading to "Question 2"). However, I think the questions I've raised
have wider applicability than that one specific request.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
This is an interesting parallel. https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html I
can't find TOS for other Apache.org properties, but the general structure
here is very similar. Specifically 4a

THINGS YOU SUBMIT TO THE SITE. This Site offers many opportunities for You
> to contribute Materials to the on this site. In addition to the other terms
> found here, the following terms apply to any Submissions made by You ("Your
> Submissions").
>
> a. You Take Responsibility for Your Submissions. You warrant that You have
> all rights needed to provide Your Submissions to the Host for posting to
> the Site in accordance with the Terms and to grant the licenses set forth
> in sections 4.b and 4.c. You agree that You will make all reasonable
> efforts to ensure that Your Submissions: do not infringe, misappropriate or
> violate the intellectual property rights or privacy interests of others;
> (ii) are not confidential or trade secret information, or subject to
> anyone's privacy interests; (iii) are not inaccurate, harmful, obscene,
> pornographic, defamatory, racist, or otherwise objectionable to a
> reasonable User; and (iv) do not violate any law, ordinance, or regulation
> of any country, state or locality. YOU AGREE THAT YOU, AND NOT THE HOST,
> ARE FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SUBMISSIONS AND THAT YOU, AND NOT THE HOST,
> ARE LIABLE FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF THEM.

and
5f

> f. Governing Law. These Terms of Use are governed by the substantive and
> procedural laws of Delaware.

In this light, the Maven Central TOS are structurally the same challenge as
e.g. OpenOffice.

The terms to use a hosted service are by definition different from a
software license. While the ASL license is mostly do what you want... even
Apache doesn't let users do what they want with our services. We for
example ban abusers, don't take responsibility for submissions etc.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jim Wright <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
I've not seen this documented, but I would assume there is a strong
position that it (trademark use and default Maven repository in Apache
Maven software) is contingent on the behaviour of Maven Central.

I would expect our position is that Sonatype is providing Maven Central for
the public good, and is working diligently with its users whenever there
are issues. The more users who cannot use Maven Central, the less
attractive Maven Central is to Apache Maven.

I think some of the government's complaints are 'meh'. Jurisdiction in
Maryland - meh. Indemnity (for the items listed) - probably-meh.

Others seem valid. For example I think this is not in the public good:

"YOU AGREE THAT IF YOU WANT TO SUE US, YOU MUST FILE YOUR LAWSUIT WITHIN
ONE YEAR AFTER THE EVENT THAT GAVE RISE TO YOUR LAWSUIT. OTHERWISE, YOUR
LAWSUIT WILL BE PERMANENTLY BARRED."
That clause concerns me and I don't think any of our users would think that
is good.

Hen

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Hi Brian,

The problematic conditions (for example, indemnification clauses) exist in
both.

My first question about ASF's position could apply to either terms, because
ASF may have a position on the use of their trademark in association with
either. However, the break in user expectations for what they are agreeing

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Hi Christopher,

I think it's help clarifying that the terms you refer to that the
government can't accept are related to -publishing- content to
Central, not consuming from Central. Is that a correct interpretation?
From what I know, the government is asking for the right to distribute

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Hen <ba...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm bemused that folk are more worried about federal/states opinions on
> jurisdiction and a de-facto standard indemnity clause than Sonatype
> declaring a 1 year window on litigation. I understand the US government may
> have created rules stopping them from operating as a normal user but that's
> something for them to fix.

I'm a little puzzled by that, too. Perhaps people just find that
interesting. As long as ASF doesn't have a problem with Maven Central's
terms and users are properly informed about the additional terms, I'm
satisfied. Once made aware of the additional terms, I don't think it's
unreasonable for them to reach out directly to Sonatype if they don't like
the existing terms, but there's nothing further for the ASF to do.

> If it's not a concern, maybe we should add that 1 year window to the
> Apache site :)

I'm not a lawyer, and don't really understand the full implications of any
particular clause in the terms. So, I'm not sure if this part is of concern
to the ASF or not...

Assuming it is of concern to the ASF, do you think an update to the README
to warn users of the additional terms of Maven Central is sufficient to
alleviate this concern as well, or do you think some action from the ASF in
addition is needed to address it?

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Wheeler, David A <dw...@ida.org> wrote:

> Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
> > Given that the ASF and PMC are OK with the current arrangement your only
> > real recourse is to have a conversation with Sonatype. We cannot change
> > their terms of service.
>
> Oh, absolutely!  I just think it's wise for ASF to clarify that there
> *are* different terms, because I think this separation is *not* obvious to
> many people.
>
> I believe that's all that is being proposed.  As you noted, Sonatype is
> the only one who can change its terms of service.

I think there are three options wrt the ToS:

1) Do nothing.
2) Warn users of additional ToS applying.
3) Stop defaulting to the Sonatype instance of the Central Repository.

I think we should do at least #2. The Maven situation is generally
different to one of our projects linking to GitHub, CPAN, NPM etc because
it's 'magic' and the user isn't exercising a choice before hand to use it.
For example an Ant GitHub tag would first require the user to want to use
GitHub. An instruction to 'npm install apache-foo' first needs the user to
research installing npm. Doing #2 means that we agree in principle that the
ToS being offered are in line with the public good.

We should do #3 if there is something broadly objectionable in the terms,
or in Sonatype's business process around the terms.

* If there are unusual terms that we expect are objectionable to a
significant slice of users, then that is a concern.
* If Sonatype are refusing to do 'normal' things like negotiate a separate
agreement with the US government, then that is a concern. (Where normal is
other entities in the same situation generally doing so)

In this case the two items identified would be:

# Is the 1 year change an unusual term? I don't see it in GitHub, NuGet's
or NPM's terms. I do see it in SourceForge's.

I think it's an unusual term for this area (presumably it's normal legalese
for contracts/35 page EULAs). I think this should be a concern for the ASF.

# Is Sonatype willing to do the normal thing of negotiating separate terms
with the US Government.

If they're not then I think this is also a concern.

Hen

RE: Maven Central terms of service

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
A little bit of history. When Maven first created the concept of the repository many moons ago, it approached the ASF about hosting it. The answer was no. That was before my association with Maven, and probably the ASF as well, but as I recall the reasons were around the effort to support it and that it would contain non-ASF artifacts. Given that, one of the originators of Maven spent his own money for a number of years to host the repo with the blessing of the PMC. When he started Sonatype he had them take it over. This resulted in the PMC negotiating with Sonatype to act as the caretaker of the repo.

At any time the PMC could decide to host the central repo, although that would cause quite a bit of community confusion, but as things stand the PMC hasn’t seen any need to even discuss such a change.

Given that the ASF and PMC are OK with the current arrangement your only real recourse is to have a conversation with Sonatype. We cannot change their terms of service.

Ralph

RE: [Non-DoD Source] RE: Maven Central terms of service

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.
>Wheeler, David A:
>
>For more discussion about the *Apache* license and the US federal government's
>antideficiency act, see my post: "Antideficiency Act and the Apache License"
>at Caution-https://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2012/06/27/
>
>Phil Odence:
>> After much wrangling (as I
>> understand it) they got comfortable based on the indemnification only
>> applying to redistributed software; the Army had no plans to redistribute
>> whatever this was....
>> (I remember the question crossing my mind as the
>> whether firing a missile counted as distribution of the embedded software.)
>
>The issue isn't redistribution per se.  What the Army should have realized
>(and I suspect eventually did) is that the Army was not required to indemnify
>without further action, so the Apache license indemnification clause would
>never be triggered.
>
>The US government's executive branch is *quite* allergic to indemnification
>clauses.  Since they're all over the place, they cause endless headaches.
>Think of indemnification clauses as a full employment act for US government
>lawyers :-(.  There are special separate negotiated agreements with GitHub,
>SourceForge, Twitter, Facebook, Google, and so on to deal with this.  For more
>info, see: Caution-https://help.github.com/articles/amendment-to-github-terms-
>of-service-applicable-to-u-s-federal-government-users/ Caution-
>https://ben.balter.com/2015/01/26/the-fine-print-nobody-reads/
>
>Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US):
>> So... if the source code was on the missile at the time, would that satisfy
>> the terms of the license?
>> Morbidly curious...
>
>I don't think firing a missile at someone counts as a "delivery" to them in
>the software development sense :-).
>
>--- David A. Wheeler

Are you sure?  It might just be an updated version of RFC 1149
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149) ;-)

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Re: Maven Central terms of service

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM, Wheeler, David A <dw...@ida.org> wrote:

> For more discussion about the *Apache* license and the US federal
> government's antideficiency act, see my post:
> "Antideficiency Act and the Apache License" at
> https://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2012/06/27/
>
> Phil Odence:
> > After much wrangling (as I
> > understand it) they got comfortable based on the indemnification only
> > applying to redistributed software; the Army had no plans to redistribute
> > whatever this was....
> > (I remember the question crossing my mind as the
> > whether firing a missile counted as distribution of the embedded
> software.)
>
> The issue isn't redistribution per se.  What the Army should have realized
> (and I suspect eventually did) is that the Army was not required to
> indemnify without further action, so the Apache license indemnification
> clause would never be triggered.
>
> The US government's executive branch is *quite* allergic to
> indemnification clauses.  Since they're all over the place, they cause
> endless headaches.  Think of indemnification clauses as a full employment
> act for US government lawyers :-(.  There are special separate negotiated
> agreements with GitHub, SourceForge, Twitter, Facebook, Google, and so on
> to deal with this.  For more info, see:
> https://help.github.com/articles/amendment-to-github-
> terms-of-service-applicable-to-u-s-federal-government-users/
> https://ben.balter.com/2015/01/26/the-fine-print-nobody-reads/

Thanks for this and your earlier blog links :)

Hen

RE: Maven Central terms of service

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.
For more discussion about the *Apache* license and the US federal government's antideficiency act, see my post:
"Antideficiency Act and the Apache License" at https://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2012/06/27/

Phil Odence:

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.
So... if the source code was on the missile at the time, would that satisfy the terms of the license?

Morbidly curious,
Cem Karan

Legal disclaimer: nothing I say in this thread is approved by the US Government, nor is it a position of the US Government.  I'm acting on my own behalf when asking these questions.

Interestingly (maybe) the ADA was a discussion point on this list six years ago. An issue arose when a large defense contractor delivered a system to the Army that included some Apache 2.0 licensed code. The concern was with the indemnification language in Clause 9 of the license. The Army lawyers are goosey about any sort of indemnification as they interpret it as potentially taking on an unfunded obligation. After much wrangling (as I understand it) they got comfortable based on the indemnification only applying to redistributed software; the Army had no plans to redistribute whatever this was. (I remember the question crossing my mind as the whether firing a missile counted as distribution of the embedded software.)

Phil Odence

    Hen:

Posted by Phil Odence <Ph...@synopsys.com>.

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.
Hen:

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Wheeler, David A" <dw...@ida.org>.
Hen:

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
With regards to LEGAL-333,  that seems to mostly be focused on the 2015
https://central.sonatype.org/pages/central-repository-producer-terms.html
and not the 2017 https://repo1.maven.org/terms.html it links to (bar
Ralph's penultimate link).

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.